Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, if you had seen my prior post " Engine computer Help" you know that I've been going nuts with an error start message, not allowing the motor to even crank.

Brought the car to Benz, they tell me I need a new ECM, possibly a DAS at the tune of $2000-$3500. They told me that there was an internal problem with it.

I took the car back and contacted ECM Depo, (friendly people), got a P.O. number. I just removed the computer out of the car and found that it had been swapped out with another vehicles computer from the place I bought the car from. There are stickers on it with the name of the place , and what the computer even came from with Vin. number.

Now I need to wait till monday and try to get a hold of the place I bought the car from. But I'm also pissed with Benz because the tech told me that all the parts were a match vin coded set. I also found the computer was already unscrewed from the box, so obvieously they saw that it did not belong to the vehicle.

:mad:

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I just removed the computer out of the car and found that it had been swapped out with another vehicles computer from the place I bought the car from. There are stickers on it with the name of the place , and what the computer even came from with Vin. number.

:mad:
Has the car ever started? I'm assuming yes, since you bought it. If that's the case, then the ECU would have to have been reprogrammed with the car's VIN - or at least that's the way I read things. I'm not a R170 guy by any means, so it's entirely possible you can start one without having a matched ECU.

I suspect that tech simply ran DAS on the car, and did not inspect each part - which in and of itself is a bit lax when they are asking you to commit a couple grand to get it fixed...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No start

I bought the car from auction, needing an engine which I already had. The car was not running when purchased. The shop who had the car was planning on converting it to a manual transmission to be used in autocross, I guess. But no mention was ever made that the swapped out the ECM. The shop owner seemed very knowledgeable and only works on European cars. I'd bet that they were going to program the orig ECM to be used with the manual tras. Unsure of more than that. The owner seemed able to reprogram ECMs. Possible that this computed was the reprogrammed one, they left it in the car? If so, how did they plan on getting the car running?

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
No clue - the R170/W203 ECU's are not encrypted, so it's easier to modify them, but the VIN is still coded to 'em.

I suspect it's a lot easier to "recode" the older ECU's than the newer ones - but it's still a handfull. You should wander over to the Crossfire forums, they have done some really entertaining transplants than everyone on the MB side of the fence said were impossible..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.