Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

*Registered
2006 SLK350
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I noticed there is a hissing noise from engine bay, so did some research YouTube of course, ended up watching some Chris Fix videos and kind of became an expert as to the reasons for such a noise like belts, pulleys and what not馃檪 and how to pin point using water spray and stuff like that. The other day my mobile mechanic came home for something else, i asked him to see what鈥檚 going on. He also said engine belt. So i asked him to spray some water and see if it goes, he did and it was gone. I wanted to ask to check pulleys and or any wably thing on belt but abstained from thinking he might not like that (like being a CPA if someone keeps asking me to do this and that for financials and taxes, probably, i wouldn鈥檛 like either). Instead pretended like know nothing and asked can there be any other issues. He said no.
Anyway, the noise isn鈥檛 that bad and after driving a while, it doesn鈥檛 make noise as much. Checked with dealership, they said belt is available for $95 plus tax.
Question: can it wait or should i replace it soon? If I don鈥檛 do it soon, what can go wrong? Thanks

Founding Member 2006
if belt breaks and your engine blows up?

*Registered
2006 SLK350
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if belt breaks and your engine blows up?

That鈥檚 a good one and tough one to digest馃檪

Founding Member 2006
Will a broken timing belt destroy my engine?

There are some engine components that can break without causing serious damage. You can drive to your mechanic and have the part replaced without any problems. This is not the case with a timing belt, however. When the timing belt breaks, the crankshaft will continue to spin at 1000 rotations per minute, while the camshaft will stop turning. As a result, the pistons will continue to rise and fall in their cylinders and can in some instances strike the valves. When this happens, the pistons, valves and cylinder heads will be damaged, and because it happens so quickly, the damage will be virtually instantaneous.

*Registered
2009 SLK55 AMG w/P30
Recently, I noticed there is a hissing noise from engine bay, so did some research YouTube of course, ended up watching some Chris Fix videos and kind of became an expert as to the reasons for such a noise like belts, pulleys and what not馃檪 and how to pin point using water spray and stuff like that. The other day my mobile mechanic came home for something else, i asked him to see what鈥檚 going on. He also said engine belt. So i asked him to spray some water and see if it goes, he did and it was gone. I wanted to ask to check pulleys and or any wably thing on belt but abstained from thinking he might not like that (like being a CPA if someone keeps asking me to do this and that for financials and taxes, probably, i wouldn鈥檛 like either). Instead pretended like know nothing and asked can there be any other issues. He said no.
Anyway, the noise isn鈥檛 that bad and after driving a while, it doesn鈥檛 make noise as much. Checked with dealership, they said belt is available for $95 plus tax.
Question: can it wait or should i replace it soon? If I don鈥檛 do it soon, what can go wrong? Thanks
Do not mess around. If it is the sepentine belt driving the alternator, water pump, power steering, AC etc etc. it can and will fail at the worst time. These things do not steer well with no power steering. Think about going down the road at 110kph and you lose power steering. You need Popeye arms.
To Jeff's point if it is a timing belt it is even more important you change them. As he notes these are interference engines i.e. the piston and valves occupy the same space in the cylinder but not at the same time under normal operating conditions. When a timing belt breaks in one or more cylinders the piston and the valves will occupy the same space at the same time and that will mean a new engine.
It just ain't worth it to avoid a small cost.

*Registered
2006 SLK350
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all. FYI - I forgot to mention that when I asked the mechanic if it was serious, he said 鈥渋t鈥檚 nothing鈥, so I did not take it seriously. Of course, he has a tendency to say nothing serious for many other things馃檪. Like the other day my Mercedes suv GL had check engine light on and he ran his super expensive $2k machine (he told me that馃檪) and found no error code. So I said I am going out of town, should be fine? He said 鈥渋t鈥檚 nothing鈥, all good. To be sure i asked him to go for a neighborhood drive, he did and said all good. But I love the guy. Anytime i need small little things, I call him, he comes to my home with his mobile repair van and looks into it, nice fella. Best of all, after all the work, if I ask him how much i owe you, he doesn鈥檛 say anything, which is rare nowadays, so I have to decide how much to pay, tough task though馃檪. Again thank you all.

Administrator (Canada)
I find myself wondering. Just what experience does this roving mechanic have with Mercedes Benz cars? has he factory training?
Exactly.

@MNK3240 Most of us strongly recommend finding an indy to do your work rather than "a guy that drives around in a truck" to paraphrase.

Have you looked here?

*Registered
2009 SLK55 AMG w/P30
Exactly.

@MNK3240 Most of us strongly recommend finding an indy to do your work rather than "a guy that drives around in a truck" to paraphrase.

Have you looked here?
Out here on south Vancouver Island there a number of Indy shops people use. There is one right behind the Victoria MB dealership staffed by factory trained and experienced people in MB cars.
I recently found another who has 18 yr with MB in Victoria and his dad senior tech at the same dealership for more than that.
I only use the dealership in Nanaimo if I feel or they tell me they can't sort an issue. I have to drive 90 minutes and they give me a loaner. The local dealership 20 minutes down the road while part of the same group just has an attitude about it that I won't go near them.

*Registered
2006 SLK350
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mobile mechanic:
Once I called CAA for something and they gave the contact of this person. He seems to be very good at it. He said he worked in a MB dealership for a few years, then decided to go mobile. It鈥檚 been only few months i found him. I mostly use him for my SLK 350. The thing i love about him is that if I need something i get it from dealership, he comes in the afternoon or weekend and works on my driveway while i can have coffee sitting there. It鈥檚 a beautiful experience.
Regular services:
For my big Mercedes GL 7 seater SUV: I have been going to the dealership last 10 years and you won鈥檛 believe how much i pay them for services and or repair maintenance. One example: yesterday i went for B service without any other issues. Morning time, they said $725 plus tax. No call throughout the day, in the afternoon they said it鈥檚 ready and they gave me a bill for $1,326.00. Can you imagine just for a B service? I asked why so much, they said we replaced fuel filter extra. Here MB services are ridiculous. No one believes that I pay so much for service and repair and maintenance. TBH - this time it was actually lower. Everytime i go for a service or something, end up paying $2k/$3k at a minimum.

That鈥檚 why last few months if something comes up, i do the research, find out the YouTube videos, buy the part from dealership and call this guy to install or fix. Don鈥檛 know if he will continue to come. But going to MB dealership for anything here in Ottawa is terrorizing to say the least 馃檪.

*Registered
2009 SLK55 AMG w/P30
Mobile mechanic:
Once I called CAA for something and they gave the contact of this person. He seems to be very good at it. He said he worked in a MB dealership for a few years, then decided to go mobile. It鈥檚 been only few months i found him. I mostly use him for my SLK 350. The thing i love about him is that if I need something i get it from dealership, he comes in the afternoon or weekend and works on my driveway while i can have coffee sitting there. It鈥檚 a beautiful experience.
Regular services:
For my big Mercedes GL 7 seater SUV: I have been going to the dealership last 10 years and you won鈥檛 believe how much i pay them for services and or repair maintenance. One example: yesterday i went for B service without any other issues. Morning time, they said $725 plus tax. No call throughout the day, in the afternoon they said it鈥檚 ready and they gave me a bill for $1,326.00. Can you imagine just for a B service? I asked why so much, they said we replaced fuel filter extra. Here MB services are ridiculous. No one believes that I pay so much for service and repair and maintenance. TBH - this time it was actually lower. Everytime i go for a service or something, end up paying $2k/$3k at a minimum.

That鈥檚 why last few months if something comes up, i do the research, find out the YouTube videos, buy the part from dealership and call this guy to install or fix. Don鈥檛 know if he will continue to come. But going to MB dealership for anything here in Ottawa is terrorizing to say the least 馃檪.
The dealers are not called stealers for nothing. My experience is that the indy I use behind the stearlership buys parts from them but they still cost me less and the labour charge per hour is significantly lower.
Indy's I find ask if you want extras done. I also state up front what I want done when I book and tell them to call me before doing anything outside the scope of what was ordered.
That said I did an online check for pricing for a fuel filter replacement on a GL and it appears they can run between $650 and $775 US with labour being about 2/3s of the cost. Remember the fuel filter is in the tank.
My latest Indy invoice was for an A service, Valve Cover Gasket Replacement and brake fluid replacement with a before tax hit of $815CDN

*Registered
2008 SLK350
Change it ASAP. It costs peanuts compared to what would may happen if something breaks.

It is not a timing belt, as others already said, so your engine will not instantly go boom BUT: remember that if something breaks, the accesories belt powers the steering pump, so no assisted steering -no joke if it happens at a speed in the middle of a twisty road; and it also powers the water pump, so no cooling, which means overheating and broken engine heads in about five to ten minutes. Also, at breaking it can break other things, like the air con pump's axis.

Hint: do NOT limit yourself to change the belt. Buy a kit which includes the tensor heads and all.

*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
I changed my belt this winter, just because. It looked fine both belt and tensioner, but wanted it done just to be sure everything is in good nick. It was only 拢106 from Autodoc for belt and tensioner, so not to much to argue about.

Lucky I did, because the tensioner was on its last few miles! It would NOT have survived much longer!

*Registered
2006 SLK350
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Change it ASAP. It costs peanuts compared to what would may happen if something breaks.

It is not a timing belt, as others already said, so your engine will not instantly go boom BUT: remember that if something breaks, the accesories belt powers the steering pump, so no assisted steering -no joke if it happens at a speed in the middle of a twisty road; and it also powers the water pump, so no cooling, which means overheating and broken engine heads in about five to ten minutes. Also, at breaking it can break other things, like the air con pump's axis.

Hint: do NOT limit yourself to change the belt. Buy a kit which includes the tensor heads and all.
Hi, I called today MB dealership and they have the belt in stock. When I asked for a kit or tension heads and all, he was laughing at me because i couldn鈥檛 say what I am looking for馃檪. Can you be a little specific as to what you meant by 鈥渢ensor heads and all鈥? Thanks

*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
Just what I said: belt and tensioner.

This is what I got for my V8: https://m.autodoc.co.uk/ridex/15180790

It won鈥檛 fit your V6, but this is what you鈥檙e looking for. Without knowing exactly what V6 you have, I did a search anyway.

Doesn鈥檛 seem to be a kit available.

These are the belts:https://m.autodoc.co.uk/spares-sear...er_id=74&model_id=5109&car_id=17885&view=grid

And this is the tensioners (apparently they call it a pully):https://m.autodoc.co.uk/spares-search?keyword=V-Ribbed+Belts+pully&categories[0]=310

DO NOT ORDER ANY OF THESE!! You need to make sure you get the right search terms first.

*Registered
2006 SLK350
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just what I said: belt and tensioner.

This is what I got for my V8: https://m.autodoc.co.uk/ridex/15180790

It won鈥檛 fit your V6, but this is what you鈥檙e looking for. Without knowing exactly what V6 you have, I did a search anyway.

Doesn鈥檛 seem to be a kit available.

These are the belts:https://m.autodoc.co.uk/spares-sear...er_id=74&model_id=5109&car_id=17885&view=grid

And this is the tensioners (apparently they call it a pully):https://m.autodoc.co.uk/spares-search?keyword=V-Ribbed+Belts+pully&categories[0]=310

DO NOT ORDER ANY OF THESE!! You need to make sure you get the right search terms first.
Thanks. The belt is $85 plus 13% tax. The tensioner is $200 plus tax, the MB dealership quoted. I saw chrisfix youtube, he mentioned about belt and pulleys.
Let鈥檚 see if my mobile mechanic says anything馃檪. He is coming to replace power steering pump.

*Registered
2006 SLK350
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. The belt is $85 plus 13% tax. The tensioner is $200 plus tax, the MB dealership quoted. I saw chrisfix youtube, he mentioned about belt and pulleys.
Let鈥檚 see if my mobile mechanic says anything馃檪. He is coming to replace power steering pump.
Ok, he responded and said only belt and power steering fluid will do. I kind of trust him, when he works I see him pretty confident. Plus to be honest, SLK 350 is more of a fun car for me, I am not too worried if something goes wrong. He will keep fixing it馃檪. He changed O2 sensor for this.
Also the dealership isn鈥檛 that good either. The other day I paid $1,300 for B3 Service on my Mercedes GL. The following day i was going to Montreal and suddenly it said check additive for adblue, next message remaining starts 10. Can you believe it? It鈥檚 Sunday, nothing was open. I ended up coming back without going to many places. When i came home, I had 5 starts remaining. Now going to drop this thing off to the dealership again on the back home from office. For MB, you can鈥檛 trust anyone, not even freaking dealership. Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts