Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Administrator (UK)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

* Premium Member
1999 SLK230 turbo
Well that vague at best 馃ぃ ok so I get they are talking about domestic and commercial lighting but what about car headlights 馃ぃ us folks that drive our lovely "modern classics" (not that the Clk can make that category cause of the state of it) but if I converted that from halogen to LED that would then fail MOT. 馃ぃ So they can Ban the sale of halogen lights, they can only ban the sale of domestic and commercial halogen lights. I didn't see the automotive sector at all in that article. 馃槀

* Premium Member
1999 SLK230 turbo
I've struggled to find anything car related, but in a tv news item this am they also referred to automotive.
Pahaha well that's it then I shall fit my LEDs then when I get pulled for blinding every oncoming driver within a 1 mile radius...I'll just state I'm saving the environment, after the 6 blinded drivers I've just passed have crashed in to the trees that were displacing the carbon footprint 馃槀

Super Moderator (UK) 2008 SLK350
Every single bulb in my house is an LED and the cost saving on use has gone down by 80% so I get that but banning them from cars is for what purpose? How does this save the environment? They ain鈥檛 pulling power off the national grid! Perhaps someone can explain the supposed benefits? Ludicrous鈥. 馃憥

* Registered 2009 SLK200
Every single bulb in my house is an LED and the cost saving on use has gone down by 95% so I get that but banning them from cars is for what purpose? How does this save the environment? They ain鈥檛 pulling power off the national grid! Perhaps someone can explain the supposed benefits? Ludicrous鈥. 馃憥
Banning Halogens from cars cant happen as led are not as such allowed on certain age cars as Led bulbs have to be E marked etc
and at moment all led for car usage are for car shows or Display purposes and are not allowed for road usage at moment .
( some interior bulbs can be fitted )

Buy any Led bulb and it say not for Road usage .

Unless something changes soon 馃槑馃槑

* Premium Member
1999 SLK230 turbo
Every single bulb in my house is an LED and the cost saving on use has gone down by 80% so I get that but banning them from cars is for what purpose? How does this save the environment? They ain鈥檛 pulling power off the national grid! Perhaps someone can explain the supposed benefits? Ludicrous鈥. 馃憥
You know what they will say 馃槈, less strain on the alternator using less fuel meaning less C02 meaning it must be saving the environment. But what they have forgotten about is how they change the MOT laws preventing old style reflector type head lamps from having LEDs because a lot of aftermarket LED headlight bulbs do not recreate the correct beam pattern. However for projector type head lamps they do work better but they still have to have the correct beam pattern. Either way someone has not put enough thought into this bill 馃ぃ

Super Moderator (UK) 2008 SLK350
You know what they will say 馃槈, less strain on the alternator using less fuel meaning less C02 meaning it must be saving the environment. But what they have forgotten about is how they change the MOT laws preventing old style reflector type head lamps from having LEDs because a lot of aftermarket LED headlight bulbs do not recreate the correct beam pattern. However for projector type head lamps they do work better but they still have to have the correct beam pattern. Either way someone has not put enough thought into this bill 馃ぃ
Interesting points Alex, I suppose we鈥檒l just have to see how this pans out鈥. Can鈥檛 help thinking that at some point it鈥檚 going to cost owners a bomb to change over, as you鈥檝e pointed out鈥. It ain鈥檛 just changing the bulb! 馃憤

* Premium Member
1999 SLK230 turbo
Interesting points Alex, I suppose we鈥檒l just have to see how this pans out鈥. Can鈥檛 help thinking that at some point it鈥檚 going to cost owners a bomb to change over, as you鈥檝e pointed out鈥. It ain鈥檛 just changing the bulb! 馃憤
Exactly don't get me wrong im all for LED bulbs but they have a place, the simply don't work as intended in a reflector headlamp even when you buy expensive ones. You can see heat but every oncoming driver still loves to give you an eye full of their high beams as you blind them unintentionally 馃槀. I used to have them in my lowered is200 they worked alright didn't blind people cause I had them adjusted right and the car sat so low, but because it should have had halogen still failed the MOT even though I took the time to get ones that had a appropriate beam pattern. And that failed at the garage I worked for 馃ぃ. I shall keep my eyes peeled for any updates on this as it's a very interesting subject.

Administrator (UK)
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

* Premium Member
1999 SLK230 turbo
I would agree from that article seems to be aimed towards household and commercial lighting as we would expect 馃ぃ. Still you never know馃槈

Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
Either way someone has not put enough thought into this bill 馃ぃ
Well there's a surprise, some cycle-to-work civil servant snowflake didn't think things through!

Reactions: Alex.M-oneeleven

* Registered
SLK 250d (2015) R172 White / Red Interior. 9 speed
Some lucky R172 owners may have factory fitted active LED headlights. Does anyone know if these can be installed to replace the standard headlight unit without any issues. I. E. Would they be able to plug into the loom without any mods? 馃

1 - 17 of 17 Posts