Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my AMG has a wobble... attributed to a 'out of round' front wheel, and I found some nice replacement AMG wheels on Ebay taken off another SLK...

Mercades SLK 18" Rims And Tires R172 AMG | eBay

But I guess these AMG wheels are just the AMG kit wheels as the tyre sizes and ET are different... are these just AMG looking wheels for non AMG cars?

I'm just trying to decide if I should buy them and if they will fit or rub somewhere, this ET thing confuses me.. I need to find a cheap way of seeing if this wobble will be cured by a new set of alloys without spending £2000 on AMG ones.

So the standard fitment for my AMG is
Front Axle 8J x 18 ET 43 235/40/18
Rear Axle 9J x 18 ET 42 255/35/18

The wheels I'm looking at
Front Axle 7.5J x 18 ET 42 225/40/18
Rear Axle 8.5J x 18 ET 36 245/35/18

What damage will this do?

·
Registered 2008 SLK350
2,391 Posts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Hi Mark.
I'm with Sneaky Peak in that the wheels you are looking at should not cause any problems due to the slightly different ET, although the rears are quite a bit different. My main concern would be wheel width. You are looking at wheels that are half an inch thinner, so you will loose the corresponding amount of rubber to road contact!

I have always replaced stock with aftermarket that match size and width as well as offset (ET) and stud pattern (PCD) just to be safe.

No chance you can get a single wheel from somewhere?

Reactions: Swagman

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,000 Posts
ET = Offset. Simply explained here:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101

Those wheels are a good price - especially with £40 off if you buy all four. The tyres are a tiny bit puny compared to what you would normally run though. I am sure you could easily sell them on if you establish your problem is solved allowing you to then spend the cash on the real thing.

I too do not think any damage - there is quite a bit under the wheel arch to play with and you would only be widening by 7mm plus you will be gaining more space from having an 8.5J over the 9.

I think the MB sheet says 'nicht' because they have to be well within the theory of all this stuff. I had much the same with the 55 rear calipers I fitted to my car, and on talking to TRW on another matter, mentioned that the 55 calipers were way too beefy and I had to grind off 3mm from the bridge, they went a bit apoplectic and refused to talk to me any further!

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,000 Posts
Swagman - I can confirm that you will be perfectly ok with those off ebay!

I am playing with brake pads at present, and during fitment of some this morning, I offered up my spare 8.5J ET 36 and there is oodles of room between the caliper (I have the same caliper as you) and spokes as per photo:

I had to take 3mm off the edge of my caliper to accommodate the deeper dish wheel I am using, but even without this reduction there is a good 12mm clearance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,728 Posts
Hi All

Did you think about having the rims made round again , I had 3 out of 4 rims out of round & the company I used to refurb my rims (perfection group uk) did the lot ,stripped back to bare alloy ,diamond cut edge ,powder coated , I did notice the difference after refurb .

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All

Did you think about having the rims made round again , I had 3 out of 4 rims out of round & the company I used to refurb my rims (perfection group uk) did the lot ,stripped back to bare alloy ,diamond cut edge ,powder coated , I did notice the difference after refurb .

Cheers

Andy
Well I had just had them refurbed, which is when all the trouble started.. :)

They were fine, but a little kerbed etc, but the car ran smooth, they refurbed them, and ever since, I've not been able to get them balanced, despite several goes at different garages :(

So I'm thinking, instead of getting them all done again, if I can just find a cheap set that will work, I'll live with them...

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,728 Posts
Hi All

@ Swagman well I have never heard of that before , That ok but buyer beware on Ebay , someone was just up in court for selling poor quality rims online .

Maybe give Perfection a ring & see if they could help .

Cheers

Andy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.