Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an slk200 2012. I started having the wind noise from the center of roofdue to the fact that my roof is plastic.

I researched this forum and ordered 3m panel bond. This was after I repaired first with Epoxy but as the poster stated, It cracked after a very hot dubai Sun.

Last week I went to agarage to change my break pad and the garage guy tested my car, I told him about the roof and he said no problem he is a professional he can fix it.

He collected the car from me, I came back evening to discover he has sealed my roof with sillicone. I mean seal the whole roof together with the windscreen. The joint
between the top and the windscreen has been sealed with sillicon. No more convertible, any idea how i can remove this sillicone witthout damaging the front seals?

·
Super Moderator
24,265 Posts
It can probably be done, but chances are you will damage the seal somewhere.

If you take it back make sure all is well when it is 'fixed' by him.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Omg, what an idiot... why would any professional with common sense and knows what they're doing seal a convertible?

I hope your car get fixed.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Seriously???????????
If that happened to me you could be sure I would seal something from him. And this "professional" would be having a hard time using the bathroom afterwards.................

·
Super Moderator
11,065 Posts
Agree with not trusting him to undo it.

The most difficult aspect will actually being able to start the removal process. Apparently none of the silicone removal products actually dissolve it. It seems the best that can be done is to soften it to make it a bit easier.

This is one way
https://www.hunker.com/12602900/what-can-be-used-to-dissolve-silicone-caulking

BUT it is not an easy process. In all likelihood you will probably damage a portion (if not all) of the original seal.

Good luck with this one .

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Really??? Methinks the “professional” garage guy just purchased a slightly used 2012 SLK200 coupe for himself, while paying for another SLK200 convertible to the original owner....

That is the fairest outcome out of this debacle. I would not want that car back until made whole completely or replaced with one like it....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone that commented. My car front seal has all been assasinated, Now I have to go to dealer for seal. He started by cutting with a knife and all rubber is punctured.

He couldn't even undo it be water is leaking like a river when I visited the auto car wash. I hate trouble so much but my car is now a kia picanto

·
Super Moderator
11,065 Posts
Thanks to everyone that commented. My car front seal has all been assasinated, Now I have to go to dealer for seal. He started by cutting with a knife and all rubber is punctured.

He couldn't even undo it be water is leaking like a river when I visited the auto car wash. I hate trouble so much but my car is now a kia picanto
I'm guessing that because you are in Dubai, there are water restrictions for home car washing?

I think most if not all of us here do NOT use those facilities. Two reasons: water is too strong and may force its way in (maybe why you got water and NOT because it's plastic) and the detergents they use are very strong and may damage aspects of the car.

I've read other members don't even allow MB dealers to wash their cars when in for servicing as the detergents they use on the wheels is very corrosive (to the extent that a detergent can be corrosive).

If possible, once your ride is repaired, do not use auto car washes :tu:

·
Registered
347 Posts
If a shop makes a huge mistake, unless you have good legal grounds to make sure they take responsibility, I would not let them touch it again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts