Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have two problems and I wonder if they are related. I am curious if anyone has experienced this.

Problem 1 - Twice now, my COMAND system seems to "reboot" shortly after starting the car. The first time I put my roof down via battery before starting the car. The second time I had a lot of electronics on when starting up on a hot day (AC included). My assumption is the COMAND system isn't getting enough voltage and reboots like a computer might behave in this situation.

For anyone searching this thread with a similar problem, after the reboot, the COMAND unit powers up to the first FM frequency (87.0 or something) regardless of the mode before the reboot (SAT, NAV, a different preset). It takes a few minutes for the radio presets to "return". I originally thought I lost my settings but that wasn't true. It just took time for them to return.

Problem 2 - Several times now, I start up the car and it seems like the AC compressor isn't really on/engaged despite being turned "on" via the controls. After a minute I realize I'm only getting humid air from the blower only. Turning the fan all the way off and then back on seems to fix it. All is good.

My battery is four years old and my new CTEK says it's all good. Also, the car always starts right up. The cost of proactively buying a new factory battery is cheaper than just about anything else I could do. FYI - car is in Florida. Four years isn't the end of the world for a battery, IME.

Any opinions?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts
How is ctek saying the battery is good? because it passes all the steps? how long is it taking to charge up?

based on your diagnosis, I say it is your battery.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How is ctek saying the battery is good? because it passes all the steps? how long is it taking to charge up?

based on your diagnosis, I say it is your battery.
Good question, I assume "good" only because it passes all of the tests. I never took it to Advanced Auto for a free test because I don't want to buy a battery from them. Of course I assume the dealer won't test my battery for free and without an appointment.

I am at about 8 hours for the charge.

I did find (via search function) a thread that talks about a sensor on the outside of the car that could cause the compressor not to kick in but it's not a perfect match for my problem.

I sure hope this is a bad battery because the alternatives are going to expensive and really hard to get fixed, I bet. I also paranoid about damaging my COMAND system or AC compressor by letting this happen over and over.

Unless someone else reports back a problem like this with a different cause, I'll go ahead and go to the dealer parts department on Friday. I'll update the thread of course to report back if the issues go away with a fresh battery.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts
how many times have you used the ctek?
my first time took about 6 hours but all other weekly charge sessions take 1 to 2 hrs tops after a jaunt

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts
if u have had service at mb within the last 18 months, then labor to change battery is free but of course you get to buy one for $160

battery could be good and alternator might be going bad.
mb check also checks the alternator

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how many times have you used the ctek?
my first time took about 6 hours but all other weekly charge sessions take 1 to 2 hrs tops after a jaunt
3 times so far but not weekly. I had big gaps in between. All of the times I used it, I think it was "stuck" on the 2nd to the last phase. Honestly, I really never made a note. I could be wrong on the phase that takes forever.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if u have had service at mb within the last 18 months, then labor to change battery is free but of course you get to buy one for $160

battery could be good and alternator might be going bad.
mb check also checks the alternator
Oh - good point. That might be the way to go. I was getting too wrapped up with trying to avoid paying a hundred bucks in labor.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts
3 times so far but not weekly. I had big gaps in between. All of the times I used it, I think it was "stuck" on the 2nd to the last phase. Honestly, I really never made a note. I could be wrong on the phase that takes forever.
you're not doing 'recond' are you? i never do.
that might be why it is taking so long

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts
even roadside assistance will bring you a new battery and they will check that u had service within 18 months. just tip the guy :D
but he also checks the alternator and resynchs windows :D

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts
you're not doing 'recond' are you? i never do.
that might be why it is taking so long

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:-D .. i hope to make it.

even roadside assistance will bring you a new battery and they will check that u had service within 18 months. just tip the guy :D
but he also checks the alternator and resynchs windows :D
My dealer said they recently made the roadside program worse. No more freebies for used cars (non-CPO) even if you have dealer service within 18 months. However, I may just press that wrench button and ask them. I am curious what they want to charge me for the "trip".

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts
you want me to add you +2 to the winery meet thread?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.