Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serious question and NOT a bashing the inflicted.

How do electric cars get on with floods?
Better, or worse than fossil fool cars.

·
Registered 2012 SLK250 CDI
147 Posts
Interesting question, getting stuck in a conventional car and grinding to a halt is unfortunate and usually expensive but doing the same in a electric one with all the lithium batteries underneath the seats could be a lot more exciting! Think I would want to get out of the car real quick!!

·
26,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I am thinking, but there may be a safety feature built in.
Or they may be vulnerable to a lesser/greater depth of water.

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
509 Posts
Presumably the batteries are sealed but the voltage to the motors is far higher than 12v.

Must admit watching drivers trying to drive through the deep floods that are in some parts of the UK amazes me. Huge bow waves and sometimes passing the cars of other drivers who thought they would make it but did not.

On a slightly different tack saw a programme where it was said that ordinary breakdown vehicles will not remove an electric vehicle that had been in a crash due to potential electric shocks and fire.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
483 Posts
I suspect that, just like their fossil fuel counterparts, it's going to vary from make to make and even model to model within a make. Battery itself may be sealed but, unless all the terminals are sealed, dirty water is enough of a conductor that short circuiting it may still be a possibility.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,480 Posts
Yes, a bow wave is good under control, but some try for a full on tsunami.
Bring back the Amphicar

Or make 'em outta wood

·
Registered 2012 SLK250 CDI
147 Posts
Just read an interesting article in today's news that said that electric cars cannot be moved once the juice has gone, they do not have the equivalent of neutral and cannot be pushed or moved once the batteries are flat. Scary if that happens on a UK smart motorway and they cannot coast to a refuge area. Guess in a flood, shorted and out of juice it will be there until the low loader can get to it.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG
51 Posts
As stated in another reply all models of electric vehicles have a set wading depth, New I-Pace is 4WD and has better wading depth than a Nissan Leaf same as equivalent petrol and diesel.
Most electric vehicle batteries and motors have sealed connections so would not short out, the main problem would be if you went in too deep it would get into the control boxes and then the vehicle will stop, same as a petrol or diesel,

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,037 Posts
Tesla as an example would still drive through water but there weak point is there doors / seals so water would penertrate through there first .
So it would be how long do i drive while my feet / ankles get wetter ........
Most people would discontinue a drive if water was coming in through doors etc

and Tesla batterys are very well sealed on there models by the way .

·
26,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I say, not an electric bash, just a thought.

Coming through seals etc is a vulnerability in all cars.
MB seals are far from the best.

Fossil fuelled cars will suck water in if depth big enough.
Electric don't have that issue AFAIK.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG
51 Posts
Some of the new cars have the electric control boxes under the seats in a recess so getting any water inside the car is not advisable

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,037 Posts
I think everyone will agree driving through knee deep plus water whatever car your in be it Electric , Petrol ,Diesel , Hybrid and the new Quantum drive will cause damage to your car .

Some risk it but suffer the consequence after and the Bills if the water penetrates in or causes issue long term later on ..........

Be cheaper to just buy a boat and maybe a good idea with the climate were in now . 😎😎

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
911 Posts
Teslas will actually float for a while. There is video of one floating through flooded water, tires spinning to propel it across, and then carrying on like nothing happened. Elon talked about it in a 2016 tweet. The battery pack is low and sealed.

·
26,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Teslas will actually float for a while. There is video of one floating through flooded water, tires spinning to propel it across, and then carrying on like nothing happened. Elon talked about it in a 2016 tweet. The battery pack is low and sealed.
Another good reason to have decent tread depth on tyres ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts