Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I spoke to Stefan, a co-owner of a high-end luxury car tuning shop in London, Ontario, Canada. He told me what I already know; that the N/A 6-banger in the 350 really has no significant power boost to be gained from a tune beyond a max of ~20hp & 28Ibft of torque. The cost is Can$1080 (or ~$800 USD). The gains are all flywheel and not WHP :frown:

Question: Would you do it for this price - is it worth it?

Link to RSP Motorsports webpage....

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,067 Posts

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,503 Posts
This morning I spoke to Stefan, a co-owner of a high-end luxury car tuning shop in London, Ontario, Canada. He told me what I already know; that the N/A 6-banger in the 350 really has no significant power boost to be gained from a tune beyond a max of ~20hp & 28Ibft of torque. The cost is Can$1080 (or ~$800 USD). The gains are all flywheel and not WHP :frown:

Question: Would you do it for this price - is it worth it?

Link to RSP Motorsports webpage....
Chris @CHELZEE has done a lot of research on this issue Omo (and passed it on to me :wink:).

I came to the conclusion that for an additional 25 ponies @ $1000, it just ain't worth it.

FWIW, Lorraine told me I already have enough horse power to deal with :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I've done a similar thing: chipping of my 55. The business that performed it had a test bank but couldn't get to the 'maximum power'. They claimed their blower (for fresh air) wasn't up to the task. Last week I had a professional dyno test with a racing company. Result? I LOST 23 horses (max turned out on 399 at the engine). They claimed not to chip tune NA high performance engines because of the guarantee they like to give customers on the gain and with these engines the risk of not getting any significant gain would be to great. Mind you, these are pro's, they have multiple cars from racing drivers in maintenance and really know where to dig for ponies.

My advice would be obvious, and I have a discussion with these 'tuners'. I want my horses back!

·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your comments. Appreciate them very much...

Len, you do have enough HP in your 55 AMG, so agree with Lorraine :smile:

20hp gain is less than 10% of BHP and hence minimal for a cool $1000. Maybe worth a vacation instead... >:D

·
12,503 Posts
Maybe worth a vacation instead... >:D
Or ask Jeff about CF recommendations :wink:

BUT with all that gorgeous "wood" panelling you have, I 'd have to think twice about changing it. It'll suck
up that $800 real fast :surprise:

·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done a similar thing: chipping of my 55. The business that performed it had a test bank but couldn't get to the 'maximum power'. They claimed their blower (for fresh air) wasn't up to the task. Last week I had a professional dyno test with a racing company. Result? I LOST 23 horses (max turned out on 399 at the engine). They claimed not to chip tune NA high performance engines because of the guarantee they like to give customers on the gain and with these engines the risk of not getting any significant gain would be to great. Mind you, these are pro's, they have multiple cars from racing drivers in maintenance and really know where to dig for ponies.

My advice would be obvious, and I have a discussion with these 'tuners'. I want my horses back!
I saw your posts on a thread describing your ECU tuning, but in that thread, I thought you said the dynoed result was about 380+bhp at the wheel after the tune compared to a typical 360-ish WHP for the N/A motor (for a 25+bhp gain). Is the new 399hp dynoed result at the wheel or flywheel? Trying to understand how a tune turned into a loss of power? :surprise::confused:

·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or ask Jeff about CF recommendations :wink:

BUT with all that gorgeous "wood" panelling you have, I 'd have to think twice about changing it. It'll suck
up that $800 real fast :surprise:
The "wood veneer" in the car ain't real wood... MB isn't that generous :wink: But my CF use is only on the front splitter and DRL chromy stuff. That is it. No more CF for me, sorry Jeff :smile:

·
12,503 Posts
The "wood veneer" in the car ain't real wood... MB isn't that generous :wink:
You'll note that "wood" was in quotes :wink:

·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone have a dyno result (or a link to one if it exists) for the base 350 motor in our R172? How much of that claimed factory "306hp" does it actually put to the ground???

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I saw your posts on a thread describing your ECU tuning, but in that thread, I thought you said the dynoed result was about 380+bhp at the wheel after the tune compared to a typical 360-ish WHP for the N/A motor (for a 25+bhp gain). Is the new 399hp dynoed result at the wheel or flywheel? Trying to understand how a tune turned into a loss of power? :surprise::confused:
The 399 was calculated to be at the flywheel. I've got two dyno results now. One from the tuner and one from the race guys. Like I stated in that earlier topic, I couldn't can't feel any difference other than maybe a little different response to the throttle but that would be the same with those electronic gizmo's that influence the delay between the pedal and the actual reaction in the injection.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Does anyone have a dyno result (or a link to one if it exists) for the base 350 motor in our R172? How much of that claimed factory "306hp" does it actually put to the ground???
Less than 75%.

From your country location, I can see that you might be interested in raw bhp, but you have to ask the questions of what do I do with it once I have it. You have already asked the question of what can you get from the 350 motor which is pretty well zilch until you add turbos, leaving the what to do with it question. The SLK has as basic a suspension design that comes out of Stuttgart, so unless you are only interested in drag racing in a straight line - and even then you will need the expense of an LSD, then anything extra is really a waste of time.

I bet you can spin the rear wheels with ease on your car. This answers your question..!Leave it as it is - you have plenty to play with as it is.

·
Registered 2013 SL63
555 Posts
I had a Eurocharge tune done on my old 171 '55 - it was on a special offer at £350ish.
Can't say I noticed much more power but it did seem to respond to the throttle more urgently.
I suspect they just fiddled with the response curve...

Russ

PS Kleeman do a tune for the 172 '55 but its over 1000 Euros for less than 20bhp gain!

·
Registered
866 Posts
ECU tunes are total bs, worthless unless you have an engine that you have done a lot of mods to that require ECU tuning. Then and only then will you have any noticeable performance gains. So to sum it up, HELL TO THE NO, $1000 for a measly claimed 20 HP that you will never feel. You'll get way more bang for your buck out of that exhaust and a performance filter than that tune. Would be more acceptable if it was worth what it is, like maybe $200-$300. I would pay that for a barely noticeable gain. I'll bet you get more satisfaction outta dat peddle slammer box for $300 than you would that tune for $1000.

·
95,067 Posts

·
95,067 Posts
whose ad? his? Plus i was talking about links posted by non sponsor/vendors
subscription members, premium and lifetime, do not see any ads
If you see his ad or any ad...he/they is/are paying for it :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.