Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK250-gone
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question...

Was going through the forums and couldn't find anything that had comparative reviews on ECU chips from these manufacturers (if I had to choose 1 out of the list to go with)... if anyone had pros and cons on any or each of them, it would be appreciated if you could post it here... (wanted to upgrade a 2012 R172 250)

p.s. please post reviews/comparisons rather than comments on why I should or shouldn't do an upgrade etc - thanks in advance!

choices:

Brabus (s version)
Kleeman (s version)
Carlesson (s version)
Racechip.de (ultimate)

have a great day!

~ S

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry to piggy back on your thread but i had a related question. If i buy one of these ECUs, will my MB service center install it for me?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've install one of those plug in peggy back box, it comes with harness and you won't need dealer to install it for you.
It adds a nice 20hp , not bad for the money , I'll post dyno graph next week.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,921 Posts
LowTech,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread, make a post, click on the ‘paper clip’ or go to ‘advanced’ and then ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’!
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
question...

Was going through the forums and couldn't find anything that had comparative reviews on ECU chips from these manufacturers (if I had to choose 1 out of the list to go with)... if anyone had pros and cons on any or each of them, it would be appreciated if you could post it here... (wanted to upgrade a 2012 R172 250)

p.s. please post reviews/comparisons rather than comments on why I should or shouldn't do an upgrade etc - thanks in advance!

choices:

Brabus (s version)
Kleeman (s version)
Carlesson (s version)
Racechip.de (ultimate)

have a great day!

~ S
Since the R172 is pretty new, I'm not surprised that there aren't any comparative ECU reviews. There aren't that many reviews for the R171 either. I would contact Eurocharged (www.eurocharged.com) and see what they have available. Depending on your ECU, you can have it tuned yourself with a cable or you have to take out your ECU and ship it out. The R171 SLK350s required the ECUs to be shipped out. The R171 SLK55s be can tuned via remote tuning cable. I had the Kleemann when I had the SLK350. It seemed OK-I pretty much used them to turn off O2 sensors for my headers/cats setup. After while it was hard to tell the difference but other people who drove my car said it felt better than a stock SLK350. I got the Eurocharged for my SLK55 but have not installed it yet. Being able to flash it back to stock myself, if necessary, is convenient and also easier to compare the difference. I would definitely go with the company that is easily reached and has good customer support.

·
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I would prefer to go with any of the larger brand names of aftermarket companies for it but still waiting on some reviews.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bip I also have a SLK 200 (R172).
What tuning chip did you get?

Please share your experience :)
Lowtech

The peggy back I used was call aspec power box, and it's basically the same as all $500 and below plug and play, the most it does is trick the factory ecu on the boost level so it can run on a higher boost and That's it. But it does give a nice 20hp gain on wheel. Most brand claim they have 40+hp on peggy back But That's not going to happen if timing control haven't been touch, so don't fall in that.
I'm also working on a turbo upgrade on mine, kind of like k03 to k04 upgrade , it gives another 15hp at the wheel with out a tune.
Dealing with Unichip now with their hot wire kit, looking forward to see around 60hp + reliable numbers, if all success I'll setup a plug and play harnesses kit for it and post it at the vendor forum together with the Turbo kit.
Will keep u guys posted.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Hi there

I understand that there is an ECU tune available from Kleemann now.
I had contact with Claus and am quite keen on a tune for my SLK55.
The tune involves removing the ECU for programming and since, from what I can find out, that will void my warrantee, it's not a viable option I'd consider.

I also believe (maybe common knowledge to others) Mercedes now part-owns Brabus, meaning that we may in future be able to get tunes that won't void warrantee, but is sure to cost an arm and a leg. Brabus have no tunes for an R172 SLK55 as yet :-(

Cheers
Mich

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
37 Posts
For SLK 250 owners...
I am looking into installing a Boost Controller from a company like Turbosmart.

The boost controller goes inline between the factory boost controller and the waste gate.

A rule of thumb would be 10 additional horsepower per every pound of boost increase.

The goal is to find a setting that doesn't cause an overboost condition, but that reliably provides the extra horsepower many people are looking for.

Easy to install, easy to tune, EASILY trips the CEL light. ANd if you can't reset it yourself, forgetaboutit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lowtech

The peggy back I used was call aspec power box, and it's basically the same as all $500 and below plug and play, the most it does is trick the factory ecu on the boost level so it can run on a higher boost and That's it. But it does give a nice 20hp gain on wheel. Most brand claim they have 40+hp on peggy back But That's not going to happen if timing control haven't been touch, so don't fall in that.
I'm also working on a turbo upgrade on mine, kind of like k03 to k04 upgrade , it gives another 15hp at the wheel with out a tune.
Dealing with Unichip now with their hot wire kit, looking forward to see around 60hp + reliable numbers, if all success I'll setup a plug and play harnesses kit for it and post it at the vendor forum together with the Turbo kit.
Will keep u guys posted.

Hello Bip, I'm wondering how did your mod go? Any updates to share with us? Quite interested to find out more especially the turbo upgrade :)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,921 Posts
toxicity,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t already.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

We’d like you to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
6 Posts
ECU and EXHAUST UPGRADE FOR SLK350 R172

There seems to be these items out there for the 250/55AMG but not so for the SLK 350 R172. Can anyone recommend some venders for these?

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
707 Posts
Lowtech

Will keep u guys posted.
any update??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi I fitted the racechip to my 250 CDI, the top mechanic at my MB dealer also has one installed in his merc, he says they are virtually the same as the brabus but 10% of the cost.

Evidently getting greater performance from a diesel is easier.

My car immediately seemd faster, much faster, and smoother... I have no fancy dyno results etc but all I can say is it works for me.

And better fuel,economy......don't understand why but again a noticeable improvement

Regards

Rob

·
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know with a CGI 250, the Brabus ECU + larger intercooler is supposed to improve torque (which is what you feel when you accelerate) by 70 ft-lbs

·
Registered
5 Posts
question...

choices:

Brabus (s version)
Kleeman (s version)
Carlesson (s version)
Racechip.de (ultimate)

have a great day!

~ S
what did you go for??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts