Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my ecu fan went out. I have a 98 with a Johnson motor (I think) fan. Whatever the name, it has a brushed motor that fails sooner than later as I experienced. Anyway, I found out that the facelift models use a new version with a pfdt (or something) brushless motor. Whatever the case the new fan case looked different because the motor is significantly smaller, but it fit right in (got it on eBay for $20 from an 04). Just pull out the k40 by sliding the metal tab, then move the front wires out of the way. The fan is held down by another clip, push it aside and pull up the housing. It will bring the tubing up with it, but that's fine. Anyway, just an FYI for you other prefacelift guys. If your fan goes out, replace it with the later model brushless fans. Should last longer.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,147 Posts
Can post some pictures of or links to what you purchased? Did you replace just the motor or the entire blower assembly?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the entire blower assembly. And it was a stock unit I found from an 04 SLK320. Just look for a complete unit on eBay and it'll fit and plug right in.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,147 Posts
I've replaced three of these, they do follow a pattern failure it seems, and i had a hard time finding new ones. The eBay items i see are all used. I did find some nearly identical motors on Amazon, brushless, for a few dollars, and was able to replace just the motor, but I don't know their longevity because I sold these cars on. The original motors are pretty simple but the environment and duty cycle is pretty harsh.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've replaced three of these, they do follow a pattern failure it seems, and i had a hard time finding new ones. The eBay items i see are all used. I did find some nearly identical motors on Amazon, brushless, for a few dollars, and was able to replace just the motor, but I don't know their longevity because I sold these cars on. The original motors are pretty simple but the environment and duty cycle is pretty harsh.
Yes, I purchased a used unit. I only did so to get the newer motor assembly since I had read that these motors are brushless from the factory, so I'm just hoping it'll last longer. The other advantage is for the guy who has a local parts yard that has an r170 in stock. Which means he can get the fan from any r170 and it'll work for him/her. Advantage to the ones from 01+ though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.