Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes, I bought the car used from a MB dealership. The factory MB warranty that I also purchased specifically states that any warranty work done outside of Canada would have to be paid for, with reimbursement when I arrived back to Canada.

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
Yes, I bought the car used from a MB dealership. The factory MB warranty that I also purchased specifically states that any warranty work done outside of Canada would have to be paid for, with reimbursement when I arrived back to Canada.
Apologies, I had a geography failure, your US flag threw me!
I understand why your Warranty isn’t transferable now.
TonyS

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Apologies, I had a geography failure, your US flag threw me!
I understand why your Warranty isn’t transferable now.
TonyS
My fault. I noticed the U.S. flag too, but haven't had the time to figure out how to change it yet.:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Matt123
will be aux bat imo. i took mine out intentionally to disable it. need to run the diagnostic to be 100%
I disconnected the sensor attached to the neg clamp of the starter battery, this deactivates brake hold and stop/start. Does disconnecting the aux battery also deactivate brake hold?, I never used brake hold so the loss was of no consequence to me.

You don`t stop/start, it`s bad for your car and your pocket.

There are two main systems active when the starter battery sensor is connected, (1) stop/start (2) smart charging, it`s the smart charging regime that causes the low battery problem on short journeys. With the sensor disconnected both batteries get fully charged even on short journeys.
When smart charging is deactivated the EMU puts the alternator into a standard continuous charging regime of between 13.8 and 14.2 volts, with smart charging in play charging is intermittent between 12 volts (no charge) and up to 16 volts ( fast regeneration ) from braking and overrun etc, to make room for this fast 16 volts the EMU will not allow the alternator to charge the battery under engine power above 75/80%, that`s the reason the battery can remain near to flat on short journeys, little regeneration = near to flat battery = shorter battery life.
I also own 2 other cars, a C-Class coupe 1.8 CGI petrol which in my ownership has always had the system switched off, the sensor was disconnected over a year, both batteries are original on that car and dated 0911, both batteries still hold an overnight charge of 12.8 volts at over 8 years old. I also have a Porsche Cayman 981 which also has the sensor disconnected, the car drives perfectly with no issues.

I am sure members are aware that R172 1.8 engine has a weak single row timing chain which is failing earlier on turbo cars fitted with stop/start. One of the reasons I deactivated stop/start was because of that chain, each extra start has to overcome the moment of inertia, this puts immense stress on the timing chain probably more or equal to flat out acceleration. The average lifetime starts with stop/start activated is accessed at around 600,000 as against 60,000 without. The initial reason though was the system itself, I just don`t want it on my car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same car and the same year, and I had the same symptoms about 2 months ago. I am like you....maybe not a big fan of the eco start/stop, but like my car to work the way it is designed. I had the auxiliary battery replaced and all is well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have the same car and the same year, and I had the same symptoms about 2 months ago. I am like you....maybe not a big fan of the eco start/stop, but like my car to work the way it is designed. I had the auxiliary battery replaced and all is well.
Thank you. I hope that's all it is. The majority of the posts seem to agree with you. I don't know if that is covered by warranty or not. I'll have to see what is involved in changing it myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you. I hope that's all it is. The majority of the posts seem to agree with you. I don't know if that is covered by warranty or not. I'll have to see what is involved in changing it myself.
My car no longer has a warranty, but about a year ago when I did, the dealer did replace the main battery under warranty.....If that helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I don't have that kind of luck.:( I'll read my warranty over tomorrow when I have time. Or....as others have stated, I might just have to take it on a few longer drives to charge it up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My battery is over 8 years old, my Merc is used 2 to three times a week mainly for short journeys, I am retired, both batteries remain fully charged and car starts instantly each time. Stop/start is bad for the battery, bad for the mechanics and bad for your pocket and is intermittent. Smart charging causes the battery to remain near to flat on short journeys, these two systems give minimal fuel gain.
I really don`t understand why some are so concerned when these 2 useless systems stop working, they are only there for the manufactures to achieve their emission targets. Why should you need a battery charger when the car is in regular use, this low battery issue never occurred in cars prior to March 2011.

AGM AFTERMARKET FALTERS AS DRIVERS DISABLE START-STOP FUNCTION

21 - 31 of 31 Posts