Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 SLK 350. ECO mode worked fine since purchase Aug/2019. Realized last week that it hasn't engaged for a long time. Eco lite in dash bezel doesn't light up. Green "E" does show up on upper speedometer, so I am in ECO mode, but obviously the green ECO fails to light. I've read the list of all the conditions that have to be met for it to engage, and my car seems to have met all the criteria. I know some of you will say I should be thankful that it is not engaging, but I like my car to function as it was meant to. Is there a fuse in this system that I can check? Any other suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
11,481 Posts
So take it back to the dealer as you say it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a bit more complicated than that. My dealer is in Kelowna, BC Canada, and I'm wintering in Mesa, AZ. I would have to pay up front for any warranty work down here then try and collect when I get home in April. Not something that I want to do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sent you a message about the scanner.
Yes, I got it. Thanks. Sounds a little high tech for my brain, but will give it some thought. I was hoping for a simple solution, like something obvious that I was missing. I'm still learning with this car.

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
If as you say, the car checks all functions of "ECO" and it appears on dash, but is missing the "green" light to confirm it is indeed in ECO, could it just be a burnt/defective fuse? I hope one of our excellent Mods here can provide a link to parts/fuse for the ECO light in a R172.

BTW, I do like my ECO mode working and hardly find the need to turn it off bcos my typical drive is more like 80-20 freeway-to-side road traffic, hence don't do much stop-n-go.

·
Registered
98 Posts
And to clarify - the green E in the top of the display shows that you are in economy mode (not sports or manual). It is not related to the stop start system. My car showed the same symptoms as yours when the main battery was getting old. A run to charge it, followed by turning the engine off and restarting it cured the problem temporarily.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Also agree on the Aux battery behind the passenger seat being a possible suspect...

Though as @TimGriff6 advises, the main battery also needs to be in good condition and may just need a good charge?
My FaceLift R172 Stop/Start will kick in after 5/10 minutes of driving in the summer, if it has been sitting on the CTEK Charger..

·
Super Moderator
24,760 Posts
Parts look up (if you ever need it again, go to any welcome and it will be in my reply).

Really useful links (thanks to ixions cataloguing)
The web site of slk-links Includes diy videos.
Spare parts: The web site of slk-links <<<Where to find part numbers

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I had problems with mine last winter particularly in the cold and dark where lots of demand on the battery is required. I replaced the main battery and stop start now works perfectly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your replies. It makes sense to me that it could be the battery, as all of my trips with the car are short runs of five minutes or so. I just find it strange that the lite on the dash bezel won't even light up. I'll have to go for a long run on the highway and see if that solves the problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,481 Posts
Keep in mind that the operation of that is very unpredictable. I can drive at 70mph for over an hour and it won't work. I get on the off ramp and it starts working again. This is in the summer so temps are not an issue.

Don't worry. Be happy 😁

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for all your replies. It makes sense to me that it could be the battery, as all of my trips with the car are short runs of five minutes or so. I just find it strange that the lite on the dash bezel won't even light up. I'll have to go for a long run on the highway and see if that solves the problem.
Mine does exactly the same, and more frequently since I've had the dash cam wired. A longer run in the car brings it back when I next start up so I'm fairly certain it'll be battery related.

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
Why would you have to pay for any Warranty work at your current location? People move house but they don’t have to drive back to the selling dealership, it’s an MB Warranty not a dealer Warranty....assuming you bought it from MB.....
TonyS

·
Super Moderator
11,481 Posts
Why would you have to pay for any Warranty work at your current location? People move house but they don’t have to drive back to the selling dealership, it’s an MB Warranty not a dealer Warranty....assuming you bought it from MB.....
TonyS
Maybe as it was a USED car (and he didn't say it was bought from a MB dealer), so maybe that sort of work is honoured only at the selling dealer (who may be an MB dealer but we don't know)?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts