Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
M4rCu5 don't worry about clouding the issue, at the minute I can't see where hell I'm going anyway. More numbers can't hurt as I think finding an exact match to mine my take longer than I have ;);). I would even use an out source but who can you trust either here or in the USA without know which are good and which are scammers. Plus where on the ECM is the EEPROM. The only thing wrong with one I have is missing pin C3/27 number one cylinder. If I could just figure out how to do that I'd be happy.

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
242 Posts
Mate, no offense, but how much hand holding do you need? All the info is here in this thread (post #7).

Do I need do a step by step guide on how to remove the ECU, disassemble it, and desolder the eeprom?

My recommendation: find a phone repair shop. Give them your old and new ECU, and send them the link to this thread. They should be able to figure it out.

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So you can take the back off (metal) to expose the solder joints then, I wonder if that might get me access to the broken pin...mmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
6,604 Posts
I don't want to cloud the issue so I'm not putting the numbers up :p :censored:
Can you pm me those numbers please, I can compare and maybe add them to my list ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
6,604 Posts
Deploy aren't you a sweet heart if you don't want to help don't
How to win friends and influence people .........................

How many times do we have to repeat ourselves as to post numbers, pictures etc etc .............................

SLK World isn't a paid 0800 advice line 24/7/365. Many of us run busy businesses, it is a Forum of SLK enthusiasts and it has some very clever experts who give advice in good faith whilst trying to help out others.

So I put a picture of the 5P08 in a recent thread, @Deplore linked to it, then in the next thread you ask for a pic, his phone shop advice is stellar, then you ask who you can trust :(

We've told ya what to do, on ye go ......................

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,032 Posts
M4rCu5 don't worry about clouding the issue, at the minute I can't see where hell I'm going anyway. More numbers can't hurt as I think finding an exact match to mine my take longer than I have ;);).
There are two later revisions to the ECU that you have BUT I'm not going to post the numbers of them because I don't know if they're a straight swap or not 🤷‍♂️ ~ my suspicion is that yes they are but as it's all witchcraft to me I'll leave it to the experts for the yay or nay (y)

Bottom line: I don't mind wasting my own money on R&D and Parts Darts and I frequently do just that🙃 but I'm not going to be held responsible for somebody else's hard-earned ££'s or $$'s without being 100% positive that my given info is correct 🙃

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Okay Dave2302 I step across the line so I apologize for my remarks to Deplore, it'll not happen again, That said there's a number of reason I ask question,
When this was said 1). Yes, used ECM and swap eeprom and wala. has to be from an SLK
Then From you 2) The ECM has to have the same number as mine has A30 545 60 32
So that's confusing to someone that has no idea,

And what I do for a living trained me to ask questions about everything because peoples lives relay on the fact that we did. But that said thanks to everyone that answered. (y)

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi again sorry to ask this but I have finally tracked down a used ECM with the same Mercedes number as mine A112 153 32 79
The yard that has it said as far as he knew the Bosch Number also has to match. Mine is 261 200 17 and the one he has is 261 208 170. So I wonder if anyone might know it this would work. The unit is from 04 SLK 320.

Thanks in advance

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
242 Posts
Bosch numbers refers to the ECU family, not as critical as the ECU part number.

You can use that, as long as the junkyard is being truthful that the ECU is out of a SLK.

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Update, the ECM that I ordered arrived and over the weekend I had the eeprom changed from the original to this one. The unit was replaced in the car I turned the key and the car stared up, Great it work like you all said it would. Took the care for a run and within 10 to 15 minutes the check engine came on. Once back home I check it with the scanner and I have exactly the same problem as before. Not reading the upstream O2 censors and will not go into close loop. I cleared the faults and put the scanner to measure mpg and ran the car on the Queen E (motorway) on Cruise at 70 mph it indicated 32 mpg. Which is normal for this car since I have owned it. Does anyone have any idea what might be happening. In closing just let me say if the check engine light was not on I would not know there was anything wrong with this car. No misfire, No white or dark exhaust, No backfiring and NO hesitation at all.

·
6,604 Posts
Are you / have you verified this with SDS, I have found many other diagnosticamabobs to report codes with totally wrong numbers and descriptions, or there could be other codes that your Diag Tool isn't seeing and which would cause that Lambda issue !!

It sounds like perhaps something is preventing this Car going into closed loop, which is afaik on these ME2.8's dependent on Temperature rise.

Or you could have an SAI issue as I first said, and re capping yes that issue could affect both banks depending exactly what is wrong with it ;)

SDS can test SAI ;)

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I don't have the Star DS but have a Autel which I think will also read the Secondary Air System, I'll check that out.

Thanks Bill

·
6,604 Posts
Trouble is Autel cannot test the system :(

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Other than going to a dealer is there anything i can try. Just so you know the insurance ran out on the car on the 11th and will be off until April 2002. We only run it for a few months in the summer.

Thanks again

·
6,604 Posts
If you had SDS you could, (temporarily), turn off the SAI Monitoring and see if the lambdas behave themselves then .........................

I'm not trying to sound like a party pooper but as those who have bit the SDS Bullet will tell you, it really is essential, even more so on older generations of MB's .................

£500 - 700 is a big lump, I know that, but it really does pay for itself in very short order, and if ever moving away from Mercedes cars, it will likely sell for what you paid for it, plug and play ready set up systems are always in demand ;)

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Ok where would or should I be looking to buy the Star Diagnostic system? There seems to be quite a few on Amazon or does it have to come via MB?

·
6,604 Posts
or does it have to come via MB?
Only if you've got 5 figure sums and you are a VAT registered MB Indie ......................

Buy C4 SD Connect with all lead set from Ali Express, don't buy C3 (old hat now) and don't get flashy and buy C5 / DOIP, they don't work well on the older Cars ................

Now get a Windows Laptop and see if @i860 can advise ya on software, you want working HHT and also WIS / EPC is nice to have (workshop manuals and parts catalogue)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts