Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this finds you all safe and well.

I am looking for input from anyone that has had to have an ECM repaired or cloned. I have been have problem with car intermittently over the pass summer months. When looking for a problem with both upstream O2 sensors I removed the C2 and C3 connectors and a couple of the pins came out at the same time.

There is no room to fix that so I need to fine a good repair shop that does fix these type of ECM's somehow. If you know of a good reputable shop please let me know. Thanks.

Also knowing that the ECM is locket to the cars VIN I was think as I do for time to time that if I could find an ECM for a 320 along with the ignition and it's key, that might also work. Yes of No?

Thanks for any feed back really.(y)

Bill

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
6,604 Posts
ECM for a 320 along with the ignition and it's key, that might also work. Yes of No?
No ;)

What you would need is Keys use just the fobs, fit your existing Key Blades to them, then you can keep your existing locks in the Car, then also from the same exact car you also need DAS / RF Module, and Engine ECU. Those parts make up the "Theft Relevant Set" of parts.

It is nicer if you just get a good used ECU and have it's EEPROM FILE cloned, as you keep the same VIN, a used set will report the VIN of the car when checked, and I know some countries check VIN at annual test time.

If you were in UK I could do that for you I don't know of anyone in Canada. Don't know if Len, @LeonardoDaBenz , knows of a good ECU shop in Canada ;)

How good is your soldering skills with PCB's ? Need to swap an 8 legged EEPROM Chip inside the ECU more so if you don't have SDS ;)

HTH ;)

Reactions: Deplore and Avel Du

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
242 Posts
1. Buy used ECU with same part number (must be from SLK)
2. Find local electrician (phone repair guy works, as long as he has a soldering station)
3. Pay him $20 and swap the eeprom
4. ???
5. Profit!

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all not sure of two things at least for now. 1) where is the DAS/RF Module in the car? 2) So if I pick up a used ECM from the yard I can take the EEPROM of mine and place it on the used one and that's all I will need to do? Looking at the ECM's circuit Board where is the EEPROM located. Pictures would be helpful. lol

Thanks again

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
242 Posts
2. Yes, used ECM and swap eeprom and wala.

Post 25.

Observe orientation on the eeprom. Take pics before you desolder.

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
242 Posts
Perhaps I should mention that this is applicable for the ME2.8 ECU found in facelift R170. If you have a pre-facelift with ME2.0, this will not apply.

·
6,604 Posts
320 V6 R170's are all ME2.8 ;)

Reactions: Deplore

·
6,604 Posts
All R170 320's are facelift ;)

My Silver 320 V6 is one of the very first ones in UK, Model Year 2000, that has ME2.8, although curiously it also has EGS 51 but TiptronicGear Shifter .................... MB really robbed the parts bins on these Cars from other models ;)

2000 W220 V8 yep ME2.0 that's why I have to buy 2001 upwards for Donor Cars ;)

Better add that's here in UK, IDK overseas (pond) ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5 and Deplore

·
6,604 Posts
Reactions: M4rCu5 and Deplore

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
242 Posts
All R170 320's are facelift ;)

My Silver 320 V6 is one of the very first ones in UK, Model Year 2000, that has ME2.8, although curiously it also has EGS 51 but TiptronicGear Shifter .................... MB really robbed the parts bins on these Cars from other models ;)

2000 W220 V8 yep ME2.0 that's why I have to buy 2001 upwards for Donor Cars ;)

Better add that's here in UK, IDK overseas (pond) ;)
Well...TIL. I thought SLK had M112 on the pre-facelift models. It's the same here, I couldn't find a pre-facelift 320.

How do I confirm?
Post pic of your ECU. Either connector or side.

·
6,604 Posts
How do I confirm?
I'm gonna go out on a limb here ;) .................

I'm positive it will be ME2.8 on an R170 with V6 320 M112 Motor ;) ....................

Ignore my own labels, these are R&D ECU's for R170 V8 Conversions, but they are definitely 100% 320 V6 R170 ....................

HTH ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Dave I see your from Scotland I grew up in Lancaster, Lancashire. I still have family over there so if push comes to push I;ll send the ECM over there to be fixed. Also I;m willing to send it into the USA if all else fails. Okay that said I spent 30+ years as a marine engineer so will have go at changing the EEPRM myself. But just wondered what you meant by DAS/RF module. I have tracked down a ECM from 2002 M320, 2002 E320, 1998 SLK, a number C320
Would any of those work for me. Or does it have to be an SLK 320 only? And (Sorry mate) where on the ECM is the EEPROM located.
BIll

·
6,604 Posts
I have tracked down a ECM from 2002 M320, 2002 E320, 1998 SLK, a number C320
It will not work on R170, has to be identical part number to your own, lots of ML, C, E, CLK, S etc 320 ECU's are listed as suitable for SLK 320 but I can absolutely categorically tell you they are not !!
Also a big red flag about sellers competence, there is no such Car as a 1998 320 V6 R170 ;)

Do not ask me to explain why, all I will say is the car if fitted with one will not Crank over when you turn the Key and the Cruise Control and LIM if fitted will not work !!

Deplore (in this thread, post # 7), gave you a link above to another thread where I posted (post # 25) a photo of the 5P08 EEPROM.
Like he says, be sure to keep it's orientation the same.

I don't do ECU's by post nowadays, would need the whole Car, do the complete job from Diagnosis to return of working Car. Too much hassle when folks supply wrong or faulty parts, mis diagnosis as to faulty part, don't fit or program them right etc etc etc, I've been there done that got the Tee ;)

If you get someone to swap the EEPROM Chip or can do that yourself then it is plug and play ;)

DAS / RF is the module behind the Instrument Cluster above Steering Column, lets just say it has 2 functions, one being Immobiliser and the second function is it transmits the RF Signal when you press a Key Button to lock / unlock the car to the PSE Module which causes the physical movement to open or lock the car.

HTH ;)

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It will not work on R170, has to be identical part number to your own, lots of ML, C, E, CLK, S etc 320 ECU's are listed as suitable for SLK 320 but I can absolutely categorically tell you they are not !!
Also a big red flag about sellers competence, there is no such Car as a 1998 320 V6 R170 ;)

Do not ask me to explain why, all I will say is the car if fitted with one will not Crank over when you turn the Key and the Cruise Control and LIM if fitted will not work !!

Deplore (in this thread, post # 7), gave you a link above to another thread where I posted (post # 25) a photo of the 5P08 EEPROM.
Like he says, be sure to keep it's orientation the same.

I don't do ECU's by post nowadays, would need the whole Car, do the complete job from Diagnosis to return of working Car. Too much hassle when folks supply wrong or faulty parts, mis diagnosis as to faulty part, don't fit or program them right etc etc etc, I've been there done that got the Tee ;)

If you get someone to swap the EEPROM Chip or can do that yourself then it is plug and play ;)

DAS / RF is the module behind the Instrument Cluster above Steering Column, lets just say it has 2 functions, one being Immobiliser and the second function is it transmits the RF Signal when you press a Key Button to lock / unlock the car to the PSE Module which causes the physical movement to open or lock the car.

HTH ;)
Thought the 1998 had to be the 4 cylinder not the 6. So to make sure I have to find an ECM with these and it has to come from a SLK 320 ONLY?
Font Gas Electric blue Auto part Fixture

Even if I was going to change the EEPROM only the new ECG has to be this number?

·
6,604 Posts
1) Thought the 1998 had to be the 4 cylinder not the 6.

2) So to make sure I have to find an ECM with these and it has to come from a SLK 320 ONLY?

3) Even if I was going to change the EEPROM the new ECU has to be this number?
1) Correct (y)

2) Correct (y)

3) Correct (y) ..................... Well actually it could be an equivalent listed in nothing else but MB EPC as suitable for your car, but get an identical one to your part number if you can, A 030 545 60 32 that will avoid confusion and issues ;)

HTH :)

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,032 Posts
3) Correct (y) ..................... Well actually it could be an equivalent listed in nothing else but MB EPC as suitable for your car, but get an identical one to your part number if you can, A 030 545 60 32 that will avoid confusion and issues ;)

HTH :)
Correct (y) .................. 4 are listed in EPC based on OP's VIN, xxx 60 32 being the second one and then a further two "replaced by" p/n's but I don't want to cloud the issue so I'm not putting the numbers up :p :censored:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts