Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2011 SLK250
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that newer versions of the R170's have EC instead of AC button.

I've been reading some stuff, but I'm not sure I understood correctly.

Basically, they are the same thing, except on the ones with the AC button, you have air conditioning, while the red light on the button is on, while on the ones with EC button, the air conditioning is off, aka in economy mode, while the light is on.

I also noticed that some sellers are advertising their SLK cars as having climate control. Is that an option some R170's come with?

·
*Premium Member
2011 SLK250
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A clear up about climate control:

I was reading that air conditioning is simply either turn it on, and you are too cold, or turn it off, and it's too hot, which is what I experienced in my car. It takes a long time to adjust and get the right temperature.
While the climate control, you set up a temperature, and the system will try and keep it at that temperature.

Is it that people mix up the two things?

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
I have noticed that newer versions of the R170's have EC instead of AC button.

I've been reading some stuff, but I'm not sure I understood correctly.

Basically, they are the same thing, except on the ones with the AC button, you have air conditioning, while the red light on the button is on, while on the ones with EC button, the air conditioning is off, aka in economy mode, while the light is on.

I also noticed that some sellers are advertising their SLK cars as having climate control. Is that an option some R170's come with?
Evening Wilhelm, I have the 320 with the EC button and you are correct in what you say, the AC is off when the red light is on and vica versa, temperature is set manually and is a bit haphazard. Climate control is usually a little more accurate you set the desired temperature and the climate control tries to maintain that temp in the cab.
Regards Stuart

·
Registered 2003 SLK230K
44 Posts
Wilhelm,

I did post on my "Radiator fan, cabin fan AC out at once".
My climate control unit was indeed defective, thanks for your help on that.
My original unit has the middle button labeled "ACoff".
The re-built unit I received has the same button labeled "EC"
The function seems still exactly thee same, when the light is on the AC is off, or in EC (economy mode).
When the light is off the AC compressor is on.
When you are too cold with the AC on (light off) then you can rotate the temperature dials a little towards red, warmer. You then simply mix the cold from the AC compressor with warm from the engine water.
Not an exact science but it does the trick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.