Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am considering EBC, Akebono and Axxis pads for the front of a 2008 SLK280 and will appreciate observations based on actual experience.

TIA

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK. It appears that either the EBC Red Stuff or the Akebono Euro pads will serve my needs. When I went to order pads, I found that there are two part numbers for the 2008 SLK 280 and I do not know which fits my car.

From the VIN, a M-B dealership parts department gave me the Benz part # which is
003 420 6020. Do you have a cross reference for either EBC or Akebono? TIA

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would strongly advice against ebc pads. They overheat the disks and cause warping.Sure the red stuff have a better initial bite than the mediocre MV OEM ones, but ebc's are not worth the trouble. Have a look at porterfield pads as well, they are better than stock oem ones with no other problems manifesting.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
OK. It appears that either the EBC Red Stuff or the Akebono Euro pads will serve my needs. When I went to order pads, I found that there are two part numbers for the 2008 SLK 280 and I do not know which fits my car.

From the VIN, a M-B dealership parts department gave me the Benz part # which is
003 420 6020. Do you have a cross reference for either EBC or Akebono? TIA

Hey Ben - EUR872 is what I show as a crossreference for the 280 front's (Akebono). For reference, try here.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I would strongly advice against ebc pads. They overheat the disks and cause warping.Sure the red stuff have a better initial bite than the mediocre MV OEM ones, but ebc's are not worth the trouble. Have a look at porterfield pads as well, they are better than stock oem ones with no other problems manifesting.
I believe this was a problem with the previous version of EBC pads. The company changed leadership and the product to eliminate the overheating. I got this information from other forums (a Subaru one IIRC).

How long a go did you have the EBC pads?

These same sites said the porterfields caused excessive rotor wear. I guess it's hard to tell unless you try them yourself.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Just a quick question, I can;t seem to find these pads available in the UK, does anybody know if the anybody in the UK stocks them?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I believe this was a problem with the previous version of EBC pads. The company changed leadership and the product to eliminate the overheating. I got this information from other forums (a Subaru one IIRC).

How long a go did you have the EBC pads?

These same sites said the porterfields caused excessive rotor wear. I guess it's hard to tell unless you try them yourself.
Mine was late 2010 EBC pads, that managed to heavy warp/score the brake disks after 6000 miles. I wiil therefore refute the new paste/leadership argument. Ebc pads do create hot spots unfortunately.

We have a clk230 sports package (same brakes as the 350) with porterfield pads which seems to behave quite nicely with spirited driving, but then again the stopping characteristics were not a significant improvement from the mediocre OEM pads. Rotor wear with porterfields after 10000 miles is satisfactory

EBC's were a decent improvement,retardation-wise, but they warped the disk excessively and do so in my experience even when used with premium brake disks as well.
Mercedes brake disks are partly to blame since they are not of that high a quality. Apart from EBC replacement disks , which i find overpriced, there does not seem to be a suitable upmarket,straight fit replacement.
Bosch/ATE barke disks are really OEM quality, pagid disks are not that good, and I have no experience with Zimmerman sport disks whcih seem hard to source.
This would of course be a serious brake disk choice but it is not a straight fit :)
http://www.apracing.com/info/products.asp?product=28mm+Thick-203.2mm+P.C.D.+-+Bolted+-+CP5000-210/211+-+Pro+5000++Disc_2196_2186

It is a disgrace that the choise of pads for the slk350 ,sharing the same brakes with many merc models, is so limited.
There are no premium ferodo or pagid pads for it, so you are either left with converting a suitable ferodo ds2500 pad (FRP3067 seems to be the one nearest to the MB calipers size), or going the whole hog with aftermarket calipers and brakes.
I can advice of an AP Racing solution if you would like,but it needs custom work to be done. (Slk350's with 17inch wheels have clearance problems if to be fitted even with the shortest and slimmer 4pot AP calipers, due to the construction of Merc wheels.)

http://www.apracing.com/info/products.asp?product=+CP5040-2/-3/-4/-5+-+152mm+Centres_2679_2678

So called AMG, brembo sourced brakes are not my choice, in that money bracket (or ever). :burnout:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From your post, below, "It is a disgrace that the choise of pads for the slk350 ,sharing the same brakes with many merc models, is so limited." If the brake systems are the same, why can't the pads interchange?

Mine was late 2010 EBC pads, that managed to heavy warp/score the brake disks after 6000 miles. I wiil therefore refute the new paste/leadership argument. Ebc pads do create hot spots unfortunately.

We have a clk230 sports package (same brakes as the 350) with porterfield pads which seems to behave quite nicely with spirited driving, but then again the stopping characteristics were not a significant improvement from the mediocre OEM pads. Rotor wear with porterfields after 10000 miles is satisfactory

EBC's were a decent improvement,retardation-wise, but they warped the disk excessively and do so in my experience even when used with premium brake disks as well.
Mercedes brake disks are partly to blame since they are not of that high a quality. Apart from EBC replacement disks , which i find overpriced, there does not seem to be a suitable upmarket,straight fit replacement.
Bosch/ATE barke disks are really OEM quality, pagid disks are not that good, and I have no experience with Zimmerman sport disks whcih seem hard to source.
This would of course be a serious brake disk choice but it is not a straight fit :)
http://www.apracing.com/info/products.asp?product=28mm+Thick-203.2mm+P.C.D.+-+Bolted+-+CP5000-210/211+-+Pro+5000++Disc_2196_2186

It is a disgrace that the choise of pads for the slk350 ,sharing the same brakes with many merc models, is so limited.
There are no premium ferodo or pagid pads for it, so you are either left with converting a suitable ferodo ds2500 pad (FRP3067 seems to be the one nearest to the MB calipers size), or going the whole hog with aftermarket calipers and brakes.
I can advice of an AP Racing solution if you would like,but it needs custom work to be done. (Slk350's with 17inch wheels have clearance problems if to be fitted even with the shortest and slimmer 4pot AP calipers, due to the construction of Merc wheels.)

http://www.apracing.com/info/products.asp?product=+CP5040-2/-3/-4/-5+-+152mm+Centres_2679_2678

So called AMG, brembo sourced brakes are not my choice, in that money bracket (or ever). :burnout:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, apart from the oem pads, there are very few options for getting a pad that is even marginally better. That is surprising if you take into account the volyme of MB cars that have these brake calipers and the apparent reluctance of premium manufacturers like Ferodo and Pagid to offer better than OEM alternatives.
The brake systems are the same, one OE pad is offered for all MB cars that have these brake calipers...No point in interchanging the same MB pad. :)

I have used or have in use the three pads I mentioned above and compared to what might have been available, it is infuriating to say the least. The same calipers (later 2piston) that are present in slk350's are also used in C-class 230k sports packages, adding up to quite a lot of cars needing pads!

From your post, below, "It is a disgrace that the choise of pads for the slk350 ,sharing the same brakes with many merc models, is so limited." If the brake systems are the same, why can't the pads interchange?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't state my question very well, did I. I apologize.

It appears from your posts that SLKs share brakes with more than one other M-B car. I would like to know which. Given the small volume of SLKs sold; it might be easier to find replacement brake components using another model car as a point of reference. Thanks again.

Hi, apart from the oem pads, there are very few options for getting a pad that is even marginally better. That is surprising if you take into account the volyme of MB cars that have these brake calipers and the apparent reluctance of premium manufacturers like Ferodo and Pagid to offer better than OEM alternatives.
The brake systems are the same, one OE pad is offered for all MB cars that have these brake calipers...No point in interchanging the same MB pad. :)

I have used or have in use the three pads I mentioned above and compared to what might have been available, it is infuriating to say the least. The same calipers (later 2piston) that are present in slk350's are also used in C-class 230k sports packages, adding up to quite a lot of cars needing pads!

·
Registered
37 Posts
No need to apologise. :)
Apart from the r171 SLK350, slk200's (1.8K - quite a lot of them produced), equipped with the sports package, share the same 330x28 brake/calipers combination.
Earlier in the production line, these calipers were 4 pot ones, and were replaced by lighter 2pot ones (still very heavy compared to decent alyminium ones)

I presume your car has these 2piston brembo-sourced calipers like mine.

Such calipers/brake disks were also used with the w203 c-class 230k cars and may have been used by others that I do not know of. [W211 (E Series), W219 (CLS), and W220 (S Series) are probable]

The choice of pads is limited, with the two major sports pad manufacturers Ferodo and pagid not offering anything in their "better than oem" pads lines. It would be easy for them to manufacture such pads, since they already manufacture pads for considerably lower-volume cars than the slk.
Have a look at the ferodo catalogue and look at the list of low-volume,obscure cars they produce sports pads for,but no slk
I have searched quite a lot and could not really find a very good solution for a better pad.
I personally do not want to change my 17inch wheels for something bigger , so new ap brake calipers (lighter by themselves and having a much better selection in performance pads) need quite some re-engineering.
If you want to go that route I can give you some pointers. I know that with larger wheels so called AMG brakes fit, but for their cost one can have an AP setup, which I prefer and used in various cars.

This is the outline of the OEM pad we are talking about.The outline of the pad is of course determined by the caliper installed

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sorry for the long answer but there is no substantialy better performance pad for our cars at the moment in my opinion.... Porterfield is decent but nothing to get excited about compared to the OEM one, and according to my experience (albeit in a heavier MB car).
I may well use them in my slk or convert some ferodo ds2500 (Ferodo frp3067 are the nearest in profile to our pads) to fit my calipers, something I have not decided yet. I am currently running oem pads after I destroyed a set of front 330x28 disks using EBC red stuff

I didn't state my question very well, did I. I apologize.

It appears from your posts that SLKs share brakes with more than one other M-B car. I would like to know which. Given the small volume of SLKs sold; it might be easier to find replacement brake components using another model car as a point of reference. Thanks again.

·
Registered 2013 SLK200
628 Posts
slk eby what would your preference be for a 2005 slk 200 1.8k. I changed from the oem pads to ebc Red as the wheels were getting filthy from brake dust. The ebc pads are cleaner but they dont seem to grip well. There is only about 2k on them. I had the car out on a track for the day and was not impressed by their stopping power. Would this be the pads or is it part of the cars charicteristics as the oem were not great either. You have to really put the foot down on the pedal to stop.By comparison you only have to touch the pedel on my VW Passat and the car stops dead. I had ebc reds on my mx5 and they were great.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm not interested in racing my SLK350 but was considering EBC Yellow Pads, any ideas about those? I hate the brake feel on the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.