Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But don't follow the truck.

Oh well, I finally had a drive where I actually wished I had the top up. Taking the back way home from work for a good top down drive - 90F so I had the A/C on. Nobody in front of me during the nice curvy middle stretch, so I enjoyed zipping through the curves.

On the home stretch right after going under the RR bridge (I love the way the engine sounds through there) I notice an 18 wheeler up in front, and to add to my disappointment not only is it doing the 45 MPH speed limit it is a chicken carrier. You know, the ones with 2,000 live (?) chickens in boxes stacked up all over the trailer.

While having feathers blowing by the whole time was a little distracting, the real problem was the smell. Now one of the reasons I love top down drives is for the aromas; freshly mown grass, honeysuckles, pine forests and lakes. This however was a pungent, slightly sickening, heat induced, totally change your mood kind of smell.

Needless to say the last 10 minutes of my drive was not fun. At least he didn't go all the way to my neighborhood and I had a mile of two to recover before I made it home.

Note to Self: Next time you see a Chicken Carrier ahead - drive the other way for 10 minutes or so, stop and admire the scenery, get gas, anything but follow the truck.

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Around here we have similar experiences with pig trucks.....whew! At lease you didn't have any solid or liquid contact.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Ooooooohhh that smell. I had to park my motorcycle next to an 18 wheeler with "nervous" chickens for about an hour and a half ferry ride in 80 degree temp. Bike needed some repair so I was there for an hour. The memory is still there pretty strong after 5 years.

G.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah, the Delmarva peninsula is riddled with the likes of Tyson, Perdue, etc. Getting behind a chicken truck on a hot day (or any day) is miserable. I'll safely pass them on the double yellow line any time I can.

·
Registered
636 Posts
While on a road trip, my brother had the windshield whipers going due to the rain....cept when my other brother looked out the side window and noticed it wasnt raining. I guess my brother was following a horse trailer a little too close.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Flossie - I don't know if you ever haul chickens, but if you do please don't mess up an SLKer's Top Down drive ! :biglaugh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts