Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
this is my first post so a little about me then some questions :biglaugh:

I have previously been into japanese sports cars, preludes, Celica GT4's 185 and 205 and currently have a Honda Accord company car and a Mitsubishi Delica L400.

Lyn (my other half, the one with sense) has decided she has had enough of her ST205 GT4 and so we have looked for something else. She has had MR2 Turbo, Honda Del Sol, Mitsubishi FTO and a galant GTI 4x4x4.

The list seems to be narrowed down to a 1998-1999 SLK 230 in black beige trim or maybe a Z3 2.8.

SLK is winning, but I know very little about them, I can rebuild a Honda or Toyota eyes closed but no nothing of any problem areas with the SLK's. All cars have problems and at 8-9 yearsnold I'm sure some bits will be wearing out. What should I look out for ? then once we have found what we are after, how easy is it to prise some extra power from it and at what sort of costing ?? (thinking pulleys for the supercharger)

I'm in UK if that makes much difference to models...

Looking forward to some advice as I have looked for a while on the net to find a SLK specific club....

thanks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Mark, I am new to the SLK thing, just got 99 (see my pictures). Cannot speak to the UK versions but my research prior to buying showed typical squawks most German cars have. The secret I think is find good source for maintenance that will treat you fair. As far as performance the 99 230 I got has higher mileage but for fun driving on curvy back roads, plenty of power. Dan is the man, I have read alot of his stuff and he is the one you should consult for power mods etc. The 98-99 models in US are easy to find and the prices are reasonable. Sounds like you love to work on your own so no problem with maint issues, parts are fairly priced if you shop around, much good info on this forum, so use these guys, they love to share info and stories about the SLK.:td: SLK's

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.