Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ... in another thread there were some posts about early 350 engines ('05 Model?) having an oil consumption issue ... "etyu" posted an engine number linked to the issue and mentioned something of a range ...

I searched my engine and found the label with the following engine number "272 963 3 0005987" ... does this fall within the range of the engines with the problem? ... if it does, how does one manage this situation; one options are available? ...

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:)Check this post with comments from etyu and Tslick. This might be the same post you mentioned but it has the engine number information you need.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx, -1- ... it was a different post but the target # of 272-9xx 30 058705 is athe same ... the post says engines "up to or less" than the above number ... the way I'm figuring, the engine # of my car (see my first post) falls under that target # ... correct?

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
BTW ... I purchasd the car at Thanksgiving with 36.3K miles ...
How many miles have you driven since the purchase? Have you checked the engine oil with the dipstick? Any warnings/alerts on the MFD (multi-function display)? Do you have all the service records from previous owner?

Just because the engine no. is within the range doesn't mean it has the oil consumption issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many miles have you driven since the purchase? Have you checked the engine oil with the dipstick? Any warnings/alerts on the MFD (multi-function display)? Do you have all the service records from previous owner?
--------------------------------

Have driven about 400 miles since purchase ... dipstick still shows full ... no messages/alerts on MFD ... better than info from owner, have some service record copies from dealer and no indication of problems ...:bannana:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
--------------------------------

Have driven about 400 miles since purchase ... dipstick still shows full ... no messages/alerts on MFD ... better than info from owner, have some service record copies from dealer and no indication of problems ...:bannana:
----------------------------------------

Just because the engine no. is within the range doesn't mean it has the oil consumption issue.
-----------------

You're right etyu ... spoke with service mgr. at dealer and provided him with much info from the various posts on SLKWorld regarding this issue ... he researched my car's service history from the time original owner purchased car (from same dealer I bought it from) and sent me a history showing nothing but routine maintenance at dealer and a recall for a pollution control issue ... he also researched MB bulletins and, along with the info from posts here that I sent him, found that the issue appeared in the early mileage life of an engine that would've been aflicted by this issue ...

So, I am encouraged that the engine in my car is less likely to be one of those with an issue even though the engine number falls within the range of the engines that had the potential to be aflicted ... thanks to everyone here for the guidance and direction ... :Beer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.