Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
* Registered From: Bahrain
2012 Mercedes SLK200
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
So I was planning on changing all 4 shock absorbers for my 2012 Mercedes SLK200, I asked the local dealership and they gave me a very HIGH price, because my car has Adaptive Dynamic Suspension so I can switch between comfort and sport, but to be honest I dont use it at all, so I found Bilstein B4 absorbers for my car and they are WAY CHEAPER، but they dont have adaptive dynamic suspension system, so I cant switch between sport and comfort, I only want a comfortable ride.
So my questions are:

1- Can I install Bilstein B4 shock asorbers in my car? Will it fit perfectly? Because im afraid it will not fit ,or an error code will show because I didnt install the original adaptive dynamic suspension shock absorbers

2- Can I install the Original shock absorbers from mercedes dealership WITHOUT adaptive dynamic suspensions? Will it give me any error or something or will it fit perfectly?

3- Do Bilstein B4 shocks give you a comfortable ride?

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
1,107 Posts
Sorry, we don't have that model in the US (and our 250 didn't have adaptive suspension that I can see) so we aren't going to be much help.

·
* Registered From: Bahrain
2012 Mercedes SLK200
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, we don't have that model in the US (and our 250 didn't have adaptive suspension that I can see) so we aren't going to be much help.
Have they worn out then? What mileage have they done?
110K KM, the front right one is leaking, planned on changing all of them

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
3,612 Posts
Our Face Lift R172's (SLC) here in the UK had the "Adaptive Dampers" as an option:

From the very limited information I got from one MB Dealer, it made ride quality:
  • Normal (For 18" wheels & Sports Suspension)
  • Harder (For Sporty Driving on good quality German Roads..)
  • Rock Hard.. (Track Use only..!!)
From my limited experience of adding Mercedes options to SLK's, You'd need a MB Dealer or MB Indy Garage to remove the coding for "Adaptive Dampers" otherwise it will keep throwing error codes....

·
* Registered
2002 SLK32 (x1), 2003 SLK230 (x2)
80 Posts
The leak you have may be unusual at the low km/mi .
I would just change the fronts with originals, the rears may do fine for a very long time.
This avoids the headaches of adaptations and keeps cost down.

If you wanted to map out the electronic faults, the Bilstein B4 (assuming it fits) should have a "standard" ride. The B6 is much too firm in my opinion, unless your favorite roads are all smooth rolled asphalt.
Bilstein makes a great product, but the sport versions are just too harsh.
An alternative may be the Koni Sport yellow adjustable. These have a manual adjustment with default very compliant, and once dialed in can be a set and forget affair, or adjusted to the roads.

Happy spirited motoring

1 - 6 of 6 Posts