Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member-sold my '55
1,384 Posts
I don't see it listed in the EPC and the number of of the pictures shows is no MB part number. It's a mystery!

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Totally agree - but the switch in the ad mirrors the 172 indicator switch right down to the chrome ring at the end of the switch. It is correctly angled so that access to the ignition switch is not hindered. There is nothing saying that the same switch design is not used in other MB models - I am sure it is.

I am intrigued though and might investigate further. If it could be retro fitted to the SLK, I would be tempted. It is high time that cars used a switch conveniently placed for the gearbox rather than have the switch masquerading as a gear stick! Ferrari are getting close, they have a little tee switch on the console, and I would not mind betting soon it will be mounted on the steering wheel.

My only reticence to making the swap is leaving a gaping hole in the console that had to be covered up with something - a gaiter would not be suitable enough. Though one could, if one liked CF, plate the hole and wrap the whole console in CF...

·
Registered looking for SLK
177 Posts
Wait a bit and this will be available in a few months OEM
This is the 2016 model year, SLC will be 2017

Attachments

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A nice refinement, that.
I want to skip a few years though to when that becomes a switch n the steering wheel.. I think they are reluctant to make this change abruptly, but rather making it smaller so as to slowly wean people off the norm of having a gear stick.

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
A nice refinement, that.
I want to skip a few years though to when that becomes a switch n the steering wheel.. I think they are reluctant to make this change abruptly, but rather making it smaller so as to slowly wean people off the norm of having a gear stick.
When you look at how much space it takes up, you'd have to wonder why they've not done away with it already. I think some of the bigger Mercedes have a column mounted shifter already. Almost certainly where the part you've linked to comes from.

·
177 Posts
I think the are retaining the centre console selectors for the sports cars, AMG GT is a case in point.
The A, CLA & GLA 45's have also got console selectors whilst their 'ordinary' siblings have the steering wheel mounted selectors.

And yes, from what I gather SLK orders from this month will come with the new selector.

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mmm. So how does this work, with both column and console selectors? Say I decide to use the steering select today and click it into Drive - the console selector will still be in Park - or will it magically shift shift position as well..?

The MB dealer in Toulouse has a CLA45 on show, I have to go in and get a part when they get their finger out and deign to order it for me, I might ask.

The more I think about DSS, the more I like it and will investigate if it can be retrofitted to the 172 withat switch on Ebay above. But I must give thought to what to do with the centre console. Here is the interior of the S Class with DSS on the steering column only. I could verrrry easily get used to it…!!

Attachments

·
177 Posts
Hi Hal

It's got to be one or the other.

I think the rational behind the use of centre console selectors in the sports cars is to minimise the number of controls around the steering wheel, so you can " have fun " on track etc...

·
Registered No SLK anymore
257 Posts
mmm. So how does this work, with both column and console selectors? Say I decide to use the steering select today and click it into Drive - the console selector will still be in Park - or will it magically shift shift position as well..?
I seriously doubt any car company will build one with two selectors. However, if they did, and they worked like the one in our BMW, it would not be a problem. Unless a force is being applied to it (i.e. your hand), the selector is always spring-loaded into the "N" position. There is no "Park" position, that is a separate electrical switch. The selector just makes momentary contact in either "D" or "R" and returns to the no contact neutral position. Attempting to operate both selectors in opposite directions at the same time, would likely be a problem, though. :)

The turn signals in the BMW work similarly and are a pain in the a...

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, spoke to the chap who sold me my car in Germany who put me onto his brother who is in new car sales. Situation is:

The new SLKs are coming out with a switch on the column and a selector on the console. Both do the same job. They are both electrical switches so you can go up on the column one into reverese, then back on the console one and you are in drive and then stop, push in the button on the column one and you are in Park. It is as I surmised, having just a selector on the column might not be seen as sporty by some, so the switch was added to the console - it seems that MB regard the SLK200 as being sporty over the the S500 that only has a column selector! He agrees with me, that the console one should not be there - anyone thinking it is sporty will soon realise it is nothing more than three position switch. The only way you can be sporty with the car is use the paddles all the time - but even they will revert to auto on a time out.

He confirmed that The CLA45, GLA45 is the same as NTT said above - selector on column and console, but the smaller engined variants are column only.

I think I am going to buy that switch on ebay and do some digging under my centre console to see if I can wire it in…something to do when the brakes are done.

·
177 Posts
Interesting Hal,
Find out if by selector on the steering column he means the paddles.
Both would be a waste.

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry - not clear. He said there is a mirror of the selector and the paddles. It is the same as the CLA and GLA 45 that you outlined.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,454 Posts
Maybe I'm old school (well I AM old school) but in my mind, a floor/console mounted stick, regardless of transmission type, is a requisite right up there with rear wheel drive for a roadster. It's enough I'm driving an automatic SLK, though by choice, but one with a column shift? I can't imagine.

Let's add a bench seat while we're at it. :surprise:

·
Registered
500 Posts
My SLK is the first auto I've owned and I absolutely love it, but I've got to say I felt right from the start that the selector knob was an anachronism; especially as the car has an excellent implementation of an electro-mechanical parking brake (as Hal points out above). I don't regard the SLK as a "sports car" but as a convertible cruiser and motorway mile muncher.

I bought an auto so I didn't need to bother changing gear, my car doesn't have the paddle shifters and flapping the selector knob left and right for a manual mode just seems like a pointless idea on an automatic to me (I get it that manual mode can be useful in certain situations, which I haven't personally encountered yet)

I'd happily have this on my car, it's just that I'm a bit chicken... so if somebody else succeeds in doing a retrofit and posts a how-to on the forum, I'm up for this mod! :smile:

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
It must be difficult for designers. On one hand they want to take up the latest technology on offer and on the other hand they have to move slowly so as not to alienate people who quite like things the way they are/were.

They have to evolve us away from manual windscreen wipers and washers (my mother had a 1968 VW that you repeatedly pressed a button and manually squirted water onto the windscreen), levers to move the seats, non-adjustable steering columns, maps etc.into an era where there are almost no controls other than a touchscreen and possibly a steering mechanism.

I do like most modern technology because for the most part it makes my life easier. Yet it always goes through an early-adopter-beware phase that makes me slightly nervous. Catalytic converters were a right pain for a while. We got used to them. Diesel particulate filters are only just getting away from the awful reputation they once had and now we have adblue injection as the new curse. They might have had it in trucks for ages but in cars it's causing a few issues. They will ultimately resolve them. Unfortunately someone has to own a car while they are resolving those issues.

As I say, it can't be easy to be a car designer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
... and flapping the selector knob left and right for a manual mode just seems like a pointless idea ...
The selector on my 350 is for when I want to listen to some music. I put it in Sport mode and use the selector keep the revs between about 3500 and 5500 rpm. Damn it sounds good!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.