Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
As Burnham is on the Heathrow take off flight path for the long-haul planes, next time We are having a BBQ, We now know how to stop the noise of 747's & A380's flying over...!!! >:D
Edit: But seriously, as of this evening 120,000 people have missed their flights for festive breaks ect, so as someone who has departed the UK in the past for Christmas, My thoughts go out to them....

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Guess who is in Florida waiting to go home to Gatwick at this moment.... :tazz:

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Some are being rerouted to Glasgow.....now that’s one long train ride to collect your car before you can even think of going home.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Guess who is in Florida waiting to go home to Gatwick at this moment.... :tazz:
Sorry to hear that - I did wonder if You might be wanting to return home....
...wet & damp over here, so hopefully You've returned to a Hotel to enjoy beer & the Florida winter sunshine!!!

·
Premium Member
14,705 Posts
Well, they’ve got police snipers and they’ve even called in the army but no one has managed to shoot it down yet

Well maybe the Amerikan Redneck Brigade needs to step in and help our friends in the UK.:laugh::laugh:

·
Super Moderator
24,283 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Sorry to hear that - I did wonder if You might be wanting to return home....
...wet & damp over here, so hopefully You've returned to a Hotel to enjoy beer & the Florida winter sunshine!!!
It's been very very wet here today, but we're up early for a two-hop flight to New York and then to Heathrow. Fingers crossed they find the perpetrator(s) in the Gatwick issue and sort out the mess. 110,000 people affected today; 136,000 likely to be affected tomorrow.

See you all soon.

·
Premium Member
14,705 Posts
we're up early for a two-hop flight to New York and then to Heathrow. Fingers crossed they find the perpetrator(s) in the Gatwick issue and sort out the mess.
Sounds to me a Trip to Legoland would have been more fun. you could have seen Sarge all dressed up....:grin::grin:

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Here in the States some redneck with a shotgun would have take care of those pesky drones by now..
Easier said than done. The police have pitched up with 5.65 mm's Snipers, shot**** a lot more. Airborne targets have no backstop and a round can go a long way and unlike in some parts of the world we are careful about where we discharge firearms. As a clay pigeon shooter myself my first thought was to shoot it down with a few 32 gram number 6 's but what we have is a well organised and deliberate 'attack' on a civilian installation. I'd rather they track the drones back to the operators than just shoot 'em down.

Suspect it would be simple to jam the comm using a directional antenna. Would also point to the source.
Not so simple, 1 - the law prevents jamming radio signals so Ofcomm would get its piss in a froth ( although no one I know would care in the circumstances ) 2 - Drones these days do not need a remote control to keep them airborne. 3 - the new radio controls operate on 2.4 Ghz are encrypted and frequency agile. Jamming them is NOT trivial.

besides, drones can be autonomous, running to a pre programmed mission and able to take off, fly the mission and return to a point and land simply with a single button press. ( My guess is that's how these blokes are doing it. take off from one point, fly a disruptive pattern over Gatwick and then hightail it to a second position to be collected for a battery change and repeat. The crew at either end has very little chance of being caught as it could be a public car park, open land even a moving flatbed vehicle!

There have now been over 50 incursions into Gatwick flight space. This is no youff on a jolly but a very organised attack. The media is saying that the authorities are not calling it terror related........ Which in my book is total bollocks! This is disruption of the civilian population on a massive scale ( by the end of today there will be over 200000 people affected directly )

When these muppets are caught they must face 10 - 15 years inside!

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
The thing is they have radio jammers that can protect the airports etc.
When the drone flies into the boundary it’s like hitting a wall and it will loose radio control and just return to it’s take off point.
The problem is too much red tape in this nanny state so they are not allowed to use them!
The guy on the news said that 3 units would protect an airport the size of Heathrow.
It’s a no brainier IMO.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts