Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,386 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

First please update your location in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ . Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Driving across 700 flat miles of eastern Montana and North Dakota on 4 lane hwy. with the cruise control on. No need for more than 80 hp. Only getting about 32 mpg. That small car should get closer to 40 mpg with the gearing it has.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,257 Posts
Welcome from Wirral, England.

Whilst you wait for the brainy folk to come on it would be worth doing a search for Kompressor threads. There is a good article on changing the oil and it doesn't look too hard or time consuming. If memory serves MB recommend changing at 100K , but the clever guys reckon it's worth changing at 50K.

Those that did this seem to have very different volumes of old oil (almost none in one case). There's also a you tube link to a brilliant guy who shows how it's done (Frapabox?).

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Myk

You can tell I'm not mechanic minded. Have you tried unplugging the electrical connector (there'll be one). Check it's clean and pins are ok. quick but careful spray of wd40 or similar (some components don't like wd40 so don't be splashing it all over).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Welcome from Wirral, England.

Whilst you wait for the brainy folk to come on it would be worth doing a search for Kompressor threads. There is a good article on changing the oil and it doesn't look too hard or time consuming. If memory serves MB recommend changing at 100K , but the clever guys reckon it's worth changing at 50K.

Those that did this seem to have very different volumes of old oil (almost none in one case). There's also a you tube link to a brilliant guy who shows how it's done (Frapabox?).

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Myk

You can tell I'm not mechanic minded. Have you tried unplugging the electrical connector (there'll be one). Check it's clean and pins are ok. quick but careful spray of wd40 or similar (some components don't like wd40 so don't be splashing it all over).
Don't use WD40 its crap. Try "pocket Rocket" or "TRi-Flow" (Bentley use it) or "ACF-50" (Aircraft grade) is easily the best stuff on the market.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,124 Posts
Driving across 700 flat miles of eastern Montana and North Dakota on 4 lane hwy. with the cruise control on. No need for more than 80 hp. Only getting about 32 mpg. That small car should get closer to 40 mpg with the gearing it has.
Presumably you are talking US gallons which are smaller than UK gallons...

We get 30+ UKMPG around town and 40+ UKMPG on a journey...

Be interesting to see how this thread pans out..0:)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
A combination of many things will reduce the mpg on a 16 year old car. Now I know where you are coming from to ask the question I see your reasoning! However there would be one main problem to switching off the s/c whilst cruising - the intake would be blocked by two large stationary screw gears restricting the air flow quite some. The ECU would not like it either and start making all sorts of compensations.

I think all you can do is have everything tuned as best you can, replace any top end components that are worn to get the best mpg you can!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is my first experience with a supercharged engine. Seeing that the s/c has an electric clutch, I thought that it would be the best of both worlds to have an economy 4 cyl. engine with a s/c available on demand. (Remember Mad Max pulling the lever to engage the supercharger ? ). But if the s/c is not a free flow device, and the ECU would get all confused, then it would take more engineering than a relay and a micro-switch. Not economically worth the effort.

The car seems to run fine and be in good tune. One owner, maintained, every single thing works, 150k. Flew to Los Angles, drove the car home to MN via the Pacific Coast Hwy, Columbia river gorge, Clearwater river gorge, Lolo pass, Going to the Sun road in Glacier Nation Park, then across the flat northern plains of Montana and North Dakota. At 32 mpg at 70+mph with the cruise control set and the a/c on, it is getting 10% above the EPA hwy mpg rating without any hypermiling shenanigans. It runs at barely above 80C in normal hwy driving. Climbing a 6% grade with the cruise set at 65, the a/c on, and 106F outside, it ran at about 92C.

The last 10+ years I have been driving MB diesels on WVO.

My previous convertibles have been:
Triumph Herald (2)
MG Midget (2)
AH Bugeye Sprite
Triumph Spitfire 1500
Singer SM1500

Great fun, but all noisy, rattley, leaky, death traps.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
when i bought my 230, the fuse had blown for the power to s/c and butterfly mechanism, so didnt know any different at first,
now its been 'corrected', difference is complete different car, not having the s/c running etc, affects everything from gear changes, mpg, and id imagine it'll also impact how the engine meters air flow, fuel metering, 02 sensors, the cat etc,
long term, could 'balls up' alot with the engine monitors etc. more importantly, loss of 'grin' factor :)
what u think guys?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,959 Posts
They're definitely more fun to drive with the SC....

Based on about 50 miles of driving such, the engine doesn't run rough with the SC disconnected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
have to agree with u there efair, it doesnt run ruff, but it will flag up fault codes, and from experience, it will affect 02 sensors and MAF readings, as the car tries to compensate for the lack of boost etc.
not sure how long my s/c wasnt working before i bought mine, but for the 1000 odd miles my s/c was 'offline', before i sorted it, aint done any damage, saying that, have a read of what no s/c working affected my motor
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/262066-maf-oil-seperator.html
john

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,959 Posts
The Motronic will adjust the fuel mixture and timing to keep the emissions in check and protect your engine and catalytic converter.

Correct on setting codes - you may see a code related to "Air Pump" or "Secondary air injection" since these engines use the SC for those functions.

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
303 Posts
Can I ask you guys how you would propose to turn off the supercharger , where is the electric clutch you speak of :wink:
I can answer my own question :smile: I thought I was going nuts , never realised that older models had a clutched supercharger :wink:
I doubt there would be much difference in fuel consumption connected or not , it's an old engine design . Mine actually seems better on fuel since the pulley and re map , I did 650 ish mile one way trip through France to get back from mulhouse to sarlat and it was suspiciously good on fuel , same on the 850 miles back to England , mainly 70 - 80 mph on cruise , I never thought to log it to work it out but I would guess at 35 mpg going of other cars I've done the journey in .

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I first bought my 2002 car the SC was not engaged most of the time, somehow after I brought it for re-adaption it came to live. All I can tell is that our car is designed to run with force induction, hence the low compression ratio. Without the SC on, the car actually feel sluggish if compare to a E230 without SC.

Fuel consumption wise, I don't feel much diff with SC on or off say on normal day to day driving, but the fun factor is suffered.

BTW, for my car the fuel consumption did improve after I put a can of Caltex Techron + in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I doubt there would be much difference in fuel consumption connected or not , it's an old engine design . Mine actually seems better on fuel since the pulley and re map
Thanks for everyone's replies.

Giving it some thought, a high compression engine is more efficient then a low compression one. Turning off the s/c would in effect lower the compression. For best mileage, just keep your foot out of it and wipe that silly grin off your face.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.