Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
fastdawg
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seat shell on the drivers side (US models) closest to the door is cracked vertically. I'm looking for a part number and or replacement part for it without buying a whole new seat. Did some searching but not coming up with anything definitive. I'm talking about the silver/grey shell, not the dark cover on the back. From what I'm seeing in some illustrated parts breakdowns they are separate units. I haven't went to the dealer yet on this, but I figure it would be pricey. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,122 Posts
So i have to dig up your vin Bob? Is that what your are saying? :D

·
fastdawg
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I'm at work, but found the old data sheet, so here it is:

Identification number: WDB1714561F155625 1
VIN: WDBWK56F87F155625

·
94,122 Posts

·
94,122 Posts

Attachments

·
fastdawg
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, thanks Jeff, I got there, then started looking up on the internet, that long crack is going to cost me about 1K no matter where. I did find an actual seat for sale on Ebay, even the same color but not in as good as shape as mine for 264 plus 100 dollars shipping, but you really don't know about the shell until you get it apart, so it's a bit risky. I'd like to just find the shell used, I could be fine with that. But thanks as having that part number of: 171-911-00-06-9778 is a big help. Other than taking the seat out, it doesn't look like it should be really hard to do.

·
fastdawg
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd be surprised, it runs along the most of the side curve with the back plate, looks like a stress point that would be under a lot of pressure going in and out of the car. I've thought about that, even to the point of taking it to an upholstery shop and having them take a look at it, but it would surprise me if they said yes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have the same (cosmetic) "problem..."
Is it easy to take that trim off the seat?
I would like to repair it with epoxy resin and glass fibre.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
The seat shell on the drivers side (US models) closest to the door is cracked vertically.
I purchased my '06 SLK55 with the same issue. No doubt that factored into the great deal I got on it. The material is a magnesium-aluminum alloy and does not provide much adhesion for epoxy (first-hand experience). From what I read, welding is a problem also. My solution was to buy a donor seat back on Ebay for $175. Now all I need to get is that special tool called 'a-round-tuit'. 0:)

·
fastdawg
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I've found a donor seat too, exact color and all, unfortunately it's not in great shape leather wise, but all I need is the shell. It's 264 plus 100 bucks shipping so I'm thinking about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If the shell is a magnesium alloy it probably can be welded, though not an amateur DIY proposition!

have you tried calling around local engineering/fabrication companies?

I have found some very friendly and helpful engineering companies in the past if you approach them nicely.

·
fastdawg
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a thought, but no, haven't gone that way yet. Time constraints probably will not allow that as an option between the searching and arrangements. Probably a donor seat is the more likely way I'm going. But it is a thought if I get some time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts