Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to stop every day use of the Car and leave it in a vacation home where we will drive it probably once a month or so.

What preventive maintenance and special care should I have done to make sure it works when we get there.

Wouldn't like to spend half of the weekend getaway fixing the car. :eek:

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,420 Posts
Get a battery tender and do a search on how to install for quick hook up. Will it be parked in a garage or out side. Possible a cover if outside. Maybe a neighbor to keep an eye on it or someone to check by.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
May think also of adding a fuel stabilizer.

Reactions: Rentero

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2 cents- a "once a month" drive (at least) would be highly recommended. A "once every other month" drive I would avoid at all costs. Never mind whether the battery will stay charged, cars have lots of rubber parts that will dry out and start leaking if not brought up to operating temperature, used and driven regularly. The engine seals need the warm oil splashed on them, wheel bearings need the lube to move through, the fluids need to get to operating temp to remove moisture that has collected, the tires need the flex as do any other rubber parts to prevent flat or dead spots. I would cycle the top each time it's driven, switch between a/c and heat, anything you can do to give each component some good use. They need the exercise, for any car to sit unused for an extended period is never good for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will be in San Antonio, Texas in a parking garage below the building. good protection vs sun, water and extreme temperature

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,665 Posts
If it is run then it must be a good run, get fully up to temperature to the point that the exhaust is hot for its entire length, the oil is completely warm etc.

There is nothing worse for a car than just running the engine for a few minutes every week or so. You create the worst corrosive conditions, acids, water moisture and warmth.

Valet before laying up, mice or rats in a car can be terminal! Consider rat bait outside if there is any risk at all! I laid up a car in Greece for 5 months and the blighters ate engine compartment sound insulation, windscreen washer hoses and electrical wiring.

Reactions: Rentero
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.