Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had a 'thumping' sound under the car in the center, usually in second gear, upon accelerating. This just started. I did a search and came up with flex joint. I got under the car, the flex joint appears to be fine. However, on the other end of the drive shaft, just in front of the u-joint, there is a bearing that is bolted to the body, that the drive shaft enters. The technical name is 'Driveshaft support bearing'. It appears that the rubber that supports the bearing is badly deteriorated, and I can detect some play in the shaft. I have ordered the assembly from Autohaus. My question would be:
Is there a DIY for this?
If not, has someone done this, and if so, are there any 'gotchas' I need to be aware of?
I do see that I will have to drop the exhaust system to get to it, anyone know the part numbers for the nuts and bolts and gaskets that hold the exhaust together? I noted that the rear trianglular joint has badly rusted nuts and bolts, and in front there is a u-bolt also badly rusted.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

BTW, it's a 1998 SLK230 R170 bone stock.

·
Registered
659 Posts
DIY.. ya, not that bad IF you have the tools and area to do it. The pitfall is that rusty bolts crap. Start soaking all of them with penetrating lubricant a day or two before you do the job. I'd replace both flex disks, u-joints and the bearing while you're there. You'll have it all in your lap anyway.

Attachments

Reactions: gringott

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info Todd157k, thank you. I was looking for a picture. Some questions come up right away, first:
Only 1 Flex Disc kit for my VIN is listed, called Flex Disc Kit;Rear Part number 2104100815. It states 'One Kit per car' Does it use the same kit for the front and rear flex disc? Or are both in there? The picture shows one.
They also list this part:
Driveshaft Bushing; Front/Rear; Centering/Guide Bushing Part Number 1244100732 basically the picture shows a metal tube bushing - where does this go and do I need one?
Nobody lists the U-joint that I can find.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Reactions: gringott

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well, I couldn't find any part numbers (this program is about the most difficult thing ever written) however I printed you a few pages of info that might help.

Attachments

Reactions: deadhead

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will do that. Still researching parts. I did find that the u-joint is 'staked', the reason seems to be Mercedes wants you to replace with a rebuilt or new I guess driveshaft. I am still trying to find out why the front flex disc isn't listed on part sites. One driveshaft rebuilder specified that the complete driveshaft they offer does not include front or rear flexdisc. I also found there appears to be a difference between 1998 and 1999 driveshafts, anyway, they are listed individually.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got the job done. Noise is gone. It was the center bearing, but replaced front and rear flex joints, used rebuilt driveshaft. Smooth. On a lift, you just drop the exhaust and go to work. Think it took about 3.5 hours. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I couldn't find any part numbers (this program is about the most difficult thing ever written) however I printed you a few pages of info that might help.
This information was very helpful in replacing my propeller suport bearing thank you. from deadhead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.