Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now you can drift and text at the same time.:grin::grin:

With both Ford and now AMG offering officially endorsed tyre-smoking modes on road cars, has the whole sideways thing finally, um, drifted into parody? Really, what is the point? Even with a drift mode getting a car sideways carries significant risk of an expensive and embarrassing crash, it shreds your expensive tyres, if you do it on a track day you'll get sent home by the marshals and if you do it on the road you risk getting in very serious trouble indeed.

Drift modes are pointless: Tell Me I'm Wrong | PistonHeads

Reactions: rhartson

·
Registered
628 Posts
Far as I'm concerned, showboating by doing drifts has always been pointless and stupid.

Either you're driving a car for the pleasure of it (combined with the intent to get somewhere), or you're racing, doing actual sanctioned competition. Making noise and smoke, shredding tires, et al, is just wasting resources. One should never waste resources heedlessly.

G

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I agree that it's pointless and it does needlessly waste recourses. However if it's not done on public roads or in a manner that endangers the safety of anyone but the driver, then I say knock yourself out! Tear up that car! Shred those tires! Chances are mum and daddy will buy you another one.

It's the little wannabe "The Fast and the Flatulant" bunch that I can't stand. There such a thing as disturbing the peace. Darn whippersnappers.

My two scents, no charge.

·
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not understand the point that AMG now offers it. Honestly how many Baby Boomers that can afford an expensive AMG have the urge to go driftin :|

Reactions: stagwcb

·
Registered sold both-> SLK350, SLK '55
996 Posts
I agree that it's pointless and it does needlessly waste recourses. However if it's not done on public roads or in a manner that endangers the safety of anyone but the driver, then I say knock yourself out! Tear up that car! Shred those tires! Chances are mum and daddy will buy you another one.

It's the little wannabe "The Fast and the Flatulant" bunch that I can't stand. There such a thing as disturbing the peace. Darn whippersnappers.

My two scents, no charge.
And what scents could these be? Vanilla and Sandalwood?
Just kidding. Sorry couldn't resist the comment.

Someone enlighten me about this mode.
It is something that makes you look cool while drifting? It is drifting assistance (as the launch mode is for 0-60) or is it an "electronics off mode"
It is not clear to me.
Once I understand I can then make a comment.

Tapatalking

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,139 Posts
Speaking of scents, how long will it be before the drifter camp starts making scented tires?

Suggested flavors: Starbucks mocha grande, McDonald's nuggets, Apple iPhone charger...

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
You forgot Samsung Galaxy in there ...

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
801 Posts
having seen some of the youtube clips posted here

Speaking of scents, how long will it be before the drifter camp starts making scented tires?

Suggested flavors: Starbucks mocha grande, McDonald's nuggets, Apple iPhone charger...
I'd suggest " Brown Corduroy" will be a big seller. inasmuch as a lot of the drifters will wish they'd been wearing some.

:surprise:

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,731 Posts
Up to the user.

If it's not in a crowded place I have no problem with it.
Turning off all the electrical help is not for me, it's saved me twice.

As for scent...
A UK oil Co. scented the diesel with a rose odour to make it more appealing to women.

They also discussed colouring the fuels to give them more appeal.
When was the last time that you noticed the colour of fuel entering your tank?
If you did notice it you would probably be more worried about having spilt the fuel, methinks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
About 6 years ago I had one of the locals try a drift around a blind corner that was damp with me coming from the other way. He ended up occupying both lanes and we were way too close for me be able to stop.
I ended up taking my Audi A6 that I owned at the time into the ditch so that I wouldn't hit his pickup truck square in the B post.
When he came over to apologize I reverted back to my sailor days and he got a dressing down that pretty much left him speechless. I let him know exactly how F*ing stupid I thought he was and that was only the beginning.
I did get his insurance, license number, etc.
He did get off without having to pay for damage on my car as there was none. I did have it checked out by the local dealer just in case. They couldn't find anything wrong. Lucky for him.
Drift mode. Yeah, right. Too bad they can't put in a sensor to measure the drivers abilities before allowing the mode to be engaged.

·
28,731 Posts
About 6 years ago I had one of the locals try a drift around a blind corner that was damp with me coming from the other way. He ended up occupying both lanes and we were way too close for me be able to stop.
I ended up taking my Audi A6 that I owned at the time into the ditch so that I wouldn't hit his pickup truck square in the B post.
When he came over to apologize I reverted back to my sailor days and he got a dressing down that pretty much left him speechless. I let him know exactly how F*ing stupid I thought he was and that was only the beginning.
I did get his insurance, license number, etc.
He did get off without having to pay for damage on my car as there was none. I did have it checked out by the local dealer just in case. They couldn't find anything wrong. Lucky for him.
Drift mode. Yeah, right. Too bad they can't put in a sensor to measure the drivers abilities before allowing the mode to be engaged.
Maybe the next version could switch off all electronic aids
and raise a six inch spike in the middle of the steering wheel.

Then those that can do it, will.
Those that can't will understand Darwin much better, if briefly.

·
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Remove the drift mode button and install a "smart button" so all those not so smart drivers on the road can do what they do behind the wheel while driving. Boy what is Ford and AMG thinking.

BTW anybody remember the days when a drift button was Weber Carbs to drift around the corners.:wink:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
And what scents could these be? Vanilla and Sandalwood?
It is something that makes you look cool while drifting? It is drifting assistance (as the launch mode is for 0-60) or is it an "electronics off mode"?
Tapatalking
Chuck you pegged me on the smells (meaning you are correct).
Disabling safety features? Nah, I'll pass. I'd rather not be at the mercy of physics. I turned off the stability control (or whatever it's called) in the SLK and turned on the Piecha converter. Then, I punched the gas pedal. I did that ONCE. . Let's just say there were some skid marks involved.

They also discussed colouring the fuels to give them more appeal.
When was the last time that you noticed the colour of fuel entering your tank?
In case you don't know: Here in the US, diesel fuel for farm use or off road is not taxed, or at least taxed at a lower rate than that for highway use. To distinguish between the two, the off road stuff is dyed a red, or rose color. I would never, EVAAAR use off road fuel in my VW, but I don't burn enough for it to make it significant. But for those buying hundreds of gallons at a time......

Anyway I have no doubt that the insurance sector will catch up to this growing trend if not already. In much the same way you might pay a higher premium for being in a given age group, you will pay more for having this "idiot button" in your car. I think I'll pass on that too.

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
579 Posts
Snapshot, a decade in the future, as our societal schism reaches a new milestone: The roads are occupied by only two types of vehicles; Nanny State driver-less cars with artificial intelligence and reactions superior to any human, and automotive showboats for entitled human drivers -- without intelligence.

·
28,731 Posts
In case you don't know: Here in the US, diesel fuel for farm use or off road is not taxed, or at least taxed at a lower rate than that for highway use. To distinguish between the two, the off road stuff is dyed a red, or rose color. I would never, EVAAAR use off road fuel in my VW, but I don't burn enough for it to make it significant. But for those buying hundreds of gallons at a time......
UK is also red.

Europe is green.

No wonder we're brexiting.

Not sure but I think the green dye is soylent green. Now there is an omen.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Nanny state cars? Showboating unintelligent drivers?? SOYLENT GREEN???

Ok, now I'm completely freaked out...

There will always be, ghosts in the machines. that might not be such a bad thing.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I must have become a doddering old chugalong in the past ten years. I haven't yet lit the ESP indicator in driving my SLK, and I've never disabled it. Funny thing though: I seem to arrive before most of my friends when we're on a weekend drive from point to point... >:D

G

"I don't spin the tires. I just go."

·
28,731 Posts
Just checked my notes.

One thing less to worry about.

It's 'solvent green' not soylent.
No need to check dumpster trucks ever again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts