Hi

I was thinking of purchsing a draft deflector for summer
Can someone tell me if they are good to have or just a waste of money

Thanks

Jenny:)

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Both the OEM Lexan and the one from Windrestrictor (site sponsor) work well with the main windows up. They reduce the wind turbulence by roughly 40-50%, and it's easy to carry a conversation within the cockpit (roof is in the retracted position).

Do you have the cloth one (looks like a fine mesh mosquito net)?

Reactions: Jennique1

·
Registered
405 Posts
The OEM one will cost 800-900 from the MB Dealer....I bought my OEM one off a guy from Ebay Germany for around $450 aussie delivered a couple of years ago...but this was when the Aussie dollar was quite strong, not sure about now.

For the Windrestrictor one, check the ads on this site, think its substantially cheaper. I personally prefer the OEM one because it includes the parts that attach over the roll over bars, but the Windrestrictor one is supposed to work ok as well.

Forgot to mention, piece of piss to install the OEM one. Takes about 2 mins.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,421 Posts
jennique1,

visit the sponsor windrestrictor link for pics and prices

also use the 'search' feature for pictures, issues, comments etc for the oem plexiglass one. more expensive but worth it in my opinion. available in slkworld store link above

remember, 'search', like, 'google', is your friend

·
Registered
766 Posts
The OEM one will cost 800-900 from the MB Dealer....I bought my OEM one off a guy from Ebay Germany for around $450 aussie delivered a couple of years ago...but this was when the Aussie dollar was quite strong, not sure about now.

For the Windrestrictor one, check the ads on this site, think its substantially cheaper. I personally prefer the OEM one because it includes the parts that attach over the roll over bars, but the Windrestrictor one is supposed to work ok as well.

Forgot to mention, piece of piss to install the OEM one. Takes about 2 mins.
I'd be amazed if the OEM Wind restrictor costs $8-900, the plexiglass version cost me £215 when I bought my car,thats about $360.

And yes they are very effective, but relatively expensive.

It takes about 30 secs to fit.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'd be amazed if the OEM Wind restrictor costs $8-900, the plexiglass version cost me £215 when I bought my car,thats about $360.

And yes they are very effective, but relatively expensive.

It takes about 30 secs to fit.
Mate, I was just as flabbergasted when they told me how much it cost from the dealer. Haven't checked current prices recently ever since I got mine but I'll be amazed if they've passed on the currency exchange savings in the retail price. Also, the $8-900 is in Aussie dollars, so that works out about right if it cost 215 quid....used to be close to 3 aussie dollars to 1 pound(now, its below 2 aussie dollars to 1 pound)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Mate, I was just as flabbergasted when they told me how much it cost from the dealer. Haven't checked current prices recently ever since I got mine but I'll be amazed if they've passed on the currency exchange savings in the retail price. Also, the $8-900 is in Aussie dollars, so that works out about right if it cost 215 quid....used to be close to 3 aussie dollars to 1 pound(now, its below 2 aussie dollars to 1 pound)
Oops! I should have noticed that.

It's still too expensive for a few bits of plastic whichever currency you use.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I dont really see the need for these wind deflectors, I dont have an irritating draft in my neck when driving (even at higher speeds), with the windows up and the heater on I sit in a nice warm pocket of air. Conversations are no problem at all. If you want one, I would go with the cheapest plexiglass version you can find (for sake of visability).

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
I dont really see the need for these wind deflectors, I dont have an irritating draft in my neck when driving (even at higher speeds), with the windows up and the heater on I sit in a nice warm pocket of air. Conversations are no problem at all. If you want one, I would go with the cheapest plexiglass version you can find (for sake of visability).
:tu:I must agree. Remember we're driving a convertible. With the top down, I don't drive with the windows up either. If it's too cool, with the AirScarf and heated seats, the top stays up. I just don't see the need for wind deflectors. Debatable, but that's my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
:tu:I must agree. Remember we're driving a convertible. With the top down, I don't drive with the windows up either. If it's too cool, with the AirScarf and heated seats, the top stays up. I just don't see the need for wind deflectors. Debatable, but that's my opinion.
I agree, and with just the standard net type wind blocker and the side windows up, the turbulence is slight up to about 50mph or so. In any case as I now have predominately more scalp than hair it doesn't bother me at all, at any speed, windows up or down.R)

My wife however has a different view!! :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have one for sale in perfect condition if you're interested - installs in seconds - no drilling - Acrylic - perfect condition. $190 - David 714-224-2409

·
Vendor
3,782 Posts
Yep maybe so, but you should really check out our products for that beautiful car, a real head turner and made out of the highest quality of acrylic, not to mention the patent pending laser etchings and illumination kits!
windrestrictor.com !!! : )

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hi

Thanks

You could always consider the net/fabric one. This one came with a package on my car. I think they are less than $200usd.

THe first few times it is a bit hard to install, in that you have to stretch it a bit, but I take mine off and on all the time now. Some people leave them up, but supposedly they get a bit dirty over time.

For me, I like the net one because I can take it off and on regularly, and it doesn't take up space when off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi
Thanks
I have the MB plastic/glass screen.

I did not like the look of the mesh screen supplied as standard.

I find a wind deflector reduces road noise from behind, reduces air turbulence on the move and when stopped prevents a following wind chilling us. It also gives a nice enclosed feel to the cockpit area.

It can easily be removed and stored in the boot in its supplied bag.
:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
The mesh screen makes it hard to ID cars (cops) behind me.

My bf bought me the MB OEM item for my birthday. I can't open the box til Friday, but I recall someone posting that they had used something to clean theirs and it had fogged it.

What's safe to clean it with?

Thanks,
Valerie

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,421 Posts
The mesh screen makes it hard to ID cars (cops) behind me.

My bf bought me the MB OEM item for my birthday. I can't open the box til Friday, but I recall someone posting that they had used something to clean theirs and it had fogged it.

Thanks,
Valerie
You should use only mild soap and water to clean it. Do not use a glass clearned on it. The stuff in glass cleaners will over time cause it to cloud up. May sure you use a soft cloth when cleaning it. The cotton micro is best.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,421 Posts
I purchased one on Ebay for a fraction of the price of the OEM. Fit perfect and works great. On the open road with the windows up you can talk and hear the radio. Using the AC there is more even temp. You still have an open air feel and not the noise and back draft. Pay OEM prices is a little too much for me. Shop around. The one I purchased was new and by a after market company, fits the entire back from roll bar to roll bar and not just between, edges are rounded over and smooth.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
.....My bf bought me the MB OEM item for my birthday. I can't open the box til Friday, but I recall someone posting that they had used something to clean theirs and it had fogged it.

Thanks,
Valerie
Use only cleaners intended for Lexan or plastic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.