Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An Arizona Department of Public Safety sergeant is being hailed for their bravery when facing a wrong-way driver head-on. The incident happened Nov. 17, but the video was just recently released. The officer was responding to reports of a reckless driver out on the roads in Flagstaff, Arizona and eventually found 32-year-old Patricia Rose Carvalho behind the wheel on the highway with her 2-year-old daughter in the backseat. The trooper immediately tried to initiate a traffic stop, but Carvalho began driving the wrong way and struck the sergeant's stopped patrol car head-on. A motorist captured the entire crash on their dashboard.

Both Carvalho and the sergeant were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening and minor injuries. The toddler was not physically hurt and was placed in the custody of child protective services. Carvalho has been charged with attempted second degree homicide, aggravated assault, endangerment, aggravated DUI and child abuse.

·
Super Moderator
24,097 Posts
In the UK and Europe we have a lot of these incidents.
Usually due to RHD and LHD driving in one another's countries.

But natives due it too.

There is a local set of lights that caught me out when first set up.
I ended up cutting the right turn lane coming from my right.

Luckily I had checked for traffic.
Still hate that junction.

And years back some joker had removed the no entry signs in a Llandudno street.
Ended up driving the wrong way, but soon realised.

Too far in to reverse, so dropped to walking place until I had the space to spin around.

Problem with a head on is speed of crash doubles.

So even a 20mph head on hit is similar to driving 40mph into a stationary object.

Pedestrians have a high survival rate at 20 (hence all the 20 limits breeding in the UK),
but a high incidence of fatality at 40.
Even though it is unlikely that a pedestrian becomes sandwiched between two vehicles in a head on,
you get an idea of the severity of impact.

Effects of Speed on Pedestrian Fatality Rates
Quote from above link:
Newton's laws dictate that a doubling in vehicle speed results in a stopping distance four times as long and four times as much kinetic energy absorbed during an impact. Driver response times further increase stopping distances. As a result, a small increase in roadway traffic speeds results in a disproportionately large increase in pedestrian fatalities

·
Premium Member
14,666 Posts
This year I had 3 wrong way drivers coming my way while I was in the Semi. Here the bars close at 2 am they all have been facing my way between 230 and 3 30 am so yes I would think some had too much to drink. Sure is not a pretty picture looking at them headlights and try to figure out if the person behind the wheel is just drunk or wanna kill him/herself slamming into a truck.:frown::|

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yup... not sure how in the world someone can go down a wrong way to begin with but I suspect it is because the traffic is not as bad compared to gridlocked LA county for example so there isn’t a deterrent from head on traffic.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yup... not sure how in the world someone can go down a wrong way to begin with but I suspect it is because the traffic is not as bad compared to gridlocked LA county for example so there isn’t a deterrent from head on traffic.
I almost did it once. They had the exit and entrance ramp right next to each other and they were not clearly marked. Do Not Enter sign was in the median between the 2 so you couldn't easily tell which one it was supposed to go to. I had to look to see which one had signs facing backwards next to it, I was set to go up the wrong one. Normally they have Do Not Enter signs on both sides of the road, but they didn't on this one.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I almost did it once. They had the exit and entrance ramp right next to each other and they were not clearly marked. Do Not Enter sign was in the median between the 2 so you couldn't easily tell which one it was supposed to go to. I had to look to see which one had signs facing backwards next to it, I was set to go up the wrong one. Normally they have Do Not Enter signs on both sides of the road, but they didn't on this one.
Glad you didn't have any problems :) that could have bad

·
Registered
126 Posts
After living in Japan for 1 1/2 years I cam home and borrowed my dads truck. Pulled out onto the 2 lane road and was having a good time until I looked up and saw a dump truck coming straight at me in my lane. I started thinking "what the hell is that idiot doing in my lane?!?" Then I realized....opps, I was the idiot in the wrong lane....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts