Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Have not found any that will work yet the factory heated seat switches are hard mounted to a wiring modular and not comparable to aftermarket it seems Need factory style double rocker and then the heated switch decals

You got any or point me in direction
I can always change out latter when I find the correct switches

·
Registered
514 Posts
That's excellent work! Well done .... and thanks for giving me the idea to do this, too! It looks like it was always that way, from the factory! I need a double-DIN unit with built-in sat-nav and DAB. What do you recommend? (That's addressed to any member, by the way ...) This is because although I do have a mobile phone, I don't really use it that much.

David

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
O.K., I've purchased a Pioneer AVIC-F980DAB. Like this one : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-AVIC-F980DAB-2-Din-DVD-USB-Bluetooth-Navigation-Apple-CarPlay-DAB-Stereo/143048495557?epid=1561750350&hash=item214e5ad1c5:g:I8QAAOSw2GlXEln6 I've looked at the installation manual and it's saying that I need a car speed signal input and a reverse gear signal input? So I'm asking where do I find those on a 1998 SLK R170? I suppose that this unit is SO good, it's overkill, really? LOL!

David
The speed signal is already available on the original radio connector as it is used to adjust the radio volume as speed increases (the gal setting). The reverse gear signal can be easily picked up from gear selector in the centre console. It's easy to route the wire up to behind the dash. I did this when I retrofitted a Becker Traffic Pro sat nav into my 1997 R170 230. I also cheated and just mounted the GPS antenna under the dash, it's just cable tied onto the duct that feeds the left hand air vent. Easy to do by removing the end cap and works perfectly for me getting 6 to 8 satellites most of the time.

If you need more info I can probably find the WIS instructions for this retrofit.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Kudos to you, I know how much work goes into this ;)

I decided against Double Din, went for "Factory Fitted Look Android" plus added 4 new Mid Range, 4 new tweets and active Sub plus Heated Seats, Headlamp Washers, and working Steering Wheel with buttons and Paddle Shift, helluva lot of work, but all works nicely now and looks well in the R170 >:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Great job

674BE40A-5B81-401A-AD2F-C6D1744E118E.jpg

F4983064-E643-496A-A29D-99E330F472A9.jpg

4132F66A-B45F-4F1D-A248-0FBAA67AF496.jpg

7F8F501C-62D4-4C41-82E6-F2B6F58618BC.jpg

6E5C77BF-6F5F-4DF3-B722-5C5633738391.jpg

E798C918-03BA-4C49-B9A0-2E5C74B4CC36.jpg Looks fantastic great job
Here is mine just about finished went w kenwood 996 overkill I know
Front and rear camera
Satellite
DVD
Wireless phone sink
HD screen
HD tuner
And a ton more still learning
https:
//www.crutchfield.com/S-AopGGAYthCJ/p_113DNX996X/Kenwood-Excelon-DNX996XR.html?XVINQ=GLX&awkw=732040499407&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=342513422636&awdv=t&awug=9010791&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2IrmBRCJARIsAJZDdxC35KeBUd_J4pVE8Wu26ow6cEJ_v82I_8lRnZTuEBudYkW7VW8gegsaAnqUEALw_wcB
Here the link
Focal and JBL speakers really crisp and clear (8) speakers total
Hidden kill switch
Led lights in dash cluster
Led light in floor foot wells
USB and 12V in console and passenger side
Led light for wind break
Heated seats
New steering wheel
Changed interior color

More but off topic for dash mod

Trying to find good spot for hidden compartment for my gun but it’s so Damm small might just go with under dash magnet

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have finished my conversion, today. I have taken quite a few photos. I used another front dash section to create a double-DIN opening. The advantages of doing it this way are that there is no need for any carbon wrapping and the original finish is retained. Further, there's lots of scrap pieces to bridge between the vertical and horizontal sections. There's been a lot of "head-scratching" but I'm really pleased with the end result. For example, it's necessary to create an internal double-DIN box in place of the single -DIN. I used thin wooden side-sections and an aluminium plate at the base. The section around the gear-changer needs to be supported at the front. I used aluminium angle, full width. Then there is the need to support and locate the front panel at the lower area corresponding to the line of switches. I fabricated some aluminium brackets and pop-rivited them in place. Although the additional front dash panel was very reasonable, the time that I've taken to do this has been quite lengthy. But I DO have the time! Now if I was to do this again, it would take me a fraction of that time! The cage is in place and all the wiring (including the DAB aerial) is there from the previous single -DIN unit. I have a Pioneer AVIC - F960DAB unit all ready to be installed. So next week should see this project completed. Total cost? .... well, about £300!

David

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
OK I’ve been reading not much in the posting department but just about finished with modification taking the stereo from a single din to a double din before after picture once I’m finished I’ll carbon fiber wrap it I’m thinking about 3-D scanning it and if anyone else is interested I can then 3-D print it but will need several to cover the cost of 3D scan and reproduction just a thought. I did the same thing for the inner door panel clip mounts that I could not find and no longer available through Mercedes worked great as I am doing a complete change on the interior
Here are a few pics
Hi there..

Quick question... were the hell did you find those blue seats? is it just cover or how?? NEED THOSE :grin:

Have the same blue color on car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
So here's a few photo's of what I've achieved. My path was to purchase another scrap front dash panel and join the two sections together to make a double-DIN opening. I didn't need to use any carbon-wrap and all the material used had an identical pattern and finish. There was enough scrap pieces to extend the lower piece (around the gear-shifter) so that it mated with the horizontal section. The end result was such that it appeared to be "original" and very pleasing to the eye!

David

Attachments

21 - 39 of 39 Posts