Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered Looking for an SLK
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience on early models off doors dropping and not closing properly without a hefty bang. Can they be adjusted easily ?

Dave F)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,207 Posts
moving to r170 general discussion

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
Your hinges at the front of the door allow for up/down and forward bakwards movement ! I would suggest you loosen them just enough to move the door and not to much so as for the door to be too loose as they are a bit diificult to control . The best idea is to get someone to help you . When I adjusted mine I marked mine up so that I would know the initial position and how far I moved the door ..

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Do you have a hydraulic lift? With some bits of scrap wood you can support the door with the lift, making sure the handle/pump is on the down stroke (ie handle is angled up), then as Curro suggests, mark the door in its current position, loosen ever so slightly, apply some pressure, retighten test.. repeat as required.

First a question though. Does the door feel tight on its hinges? ie can you lift the door when it's open? If so the hinges are worn and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone had experience on early models off doors dropping and not closing properly without a hefty bang. Can they be adjusted easily ?

Dave F)
Does it do the same thing with the top up and down? With the top down, these cars have more flexibility that when up. That being said, I would check the sills and door posts for possible corrosion. When a car starts to have the doors dropping it can be a sign that it is starting to lose the structural rigidity because of the dreaded tin-worm.

Dan M.

·
Registered Looking for an SLK
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The doors do seem to close easier with the top down. I also notice that sometimes on the passenger door even when it closes properly the glass does not sit into the rubber and have to pop it in by hand.
Dave

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
The doors do seem to close easier with the top down. I also notice that sometimes on the passenger door even when it closes properly the glass does not sit into the rubber and have to pop it in by hand.
Dave
Then you may need to check the alignment of the glass in the door.
It can be easily adjusted by use of a T30 driver into the hole on the bottom of the door (behind the plastic bung at the rear corner). Slacken the screw, and move in (towards centre of car) to slacken the contact for the glass. test and repeat as needed. Re-tighten, and refit bung; job done!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.