Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered Looking for an SLK
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My door Trims on my 99 230 are falling apart becoming unglued anyone know of a good fix for this. The design is very poor with very few screws holding the pull handle and trim to the door resulting in the glued on plastic holders for the poppers taking all the strain and the resulting falling apart.

Dave

·
Registered
274 Posts
the door pull handles are held to the door frame by 2 screws so no strain is put on the door card mountings at all. however the door cards do fall to bits and this is common I glued mine back together with sikaflex sucsesfully any pu adhesive from a autoparts / paint store should do tigerseal is another good one .oh wear latex gloves its a bastid to wash off your hands

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
I just did this on mine and used hot melt glue to put them back on. I first cleaned the areas with lacquer thinner to get the old glue off and then hit it with the hot glue gun. Seems to be holding. I also did the rubber seal panel on the top and the intermediate panel. They are holding well, too. I first tried contact cement like they used originally and had no luck with that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did this a couple of times on mine using different glues that all held up only few weeks or perhaps months. Finally using UHU EndFest 300 2-component epoxy and heating the joints while curing I feel confident that it will last. I recommend you to go for a top quality 2-comp glue - it is not worth it to try and save a few bucks here!

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.