Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The other day, I removed the door trims in my SLK in order to gain access to the door speakers.

Long story short, it seems I broke more than I fixed...

Some parts detached from the trim (because of old age maybe?) and need to be reglued. They seem made of... cardboard ???!

Can anyone give me some recommendations for what glue to use?

The temperature in doors varies greatly from winter to summer therefore I guess the glue must be pretty hardcore.

Also, a quick question for the windows - how do I know if I need to recalibrate them or anything? Thinking back, the doors do seem a little hard to close properly sometimes with the windows fully rolled up.

Any clues?

Many thanks,

Andrei.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
After cleaning the areas with lacquer thinner I used a liberal coat of contact cement on each item (both sides) to be glued. I let it get tacky to the point that it barely stuck to my fingers and carefully pressed them together. You pretty much have to get it right the first time 'cause the glue really sticks on contact.

I like Weldwood contact cement for this type of work.

As to your other question, the doors do need an extra push if the windows are rolled up. The cabin is so tight there is no place for the air to go when the doors close. Try opening the trunk lid and see if that helps. On the more modern cars the windows move down about 3/8" to allow the air to escape and then they close back up. Mercedes eventually thinks of everything.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
.. .. ..The cabin is so tight there is no place for the air to go when the doors close. .. .. ..
???? Most cars have a ventilation system connected to the outside world.

Even if the cabin was 'so tight there is no where for the air to go', you would only be talking about compressing such a tiny bit of air (the internal v external pressure would be equal for all but the last bit of movement when the seals finally make contact all the way round ) that the increase in force required to close the door would be negligible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After cleaning the areas with lacquer thinner I used a liberal coat of contact cement on each item (both sides) to be glued.

As to your other question, the doors do need an extra push if the windows are rolled up. The cabin is so tight there is no place for the air to go when the doors close. Try opening the trunk lid and see if that helps. On the more modern cars the windows move down about 3/8" to allow the air to escape and then they close back up. Mercedes eventually thinks of everything.
Thanks for all the info! I bought some JB Weld plastic/everything glue and will try that.

Also thank you for the info on the windows... I thought they had lost their calibration somehow when I removed the trim. It makes sense now why you need to push a bit harder to close the doors with the windows fully up.

On my father's convertible 2000 323ci BMW, the windows roll down a bit and then roll immediately back up when opening/ closing the doors. I had assumed it must be the same for the SLK.

Thanks you!

Andrei.:Beer:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.