Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few scuffs/scratches on my alluminum door sills....is there anything that can get them off or make them less noticeable ???

F)

·
Super Moderator - DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,015 Posts
Fine wire wool, and brush in the same direction as the grain....

I use the same method when restoring old Omega Stainless Steel watchstraps...

Cheers
Sean

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,745 Posts
Sean, i have a little dimple in mine. any way to get that out?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sean
Sounds harsh ...wire wool... is it a special wire wool ? Do I use it wet or dry .... Or any special polish ?
Not sure I dare in case I make it worse lol

·
Super Moderator - DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,015 Posts
It's fine wire wool - others use Scotchbrite - I'll dig out the details, take a pic and post up tomorrow for you ....

Oh, and it's used dry... going with the grain of the metal restores the look really well

Cheers
Sean

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's fine wire wool - others use Scotchbrite - I'll dig out the details, take a pic and post up tomorrow for you ....

Oh, and it's used dry... going with the grain of the metal restores the look really well

Cheers
Sean

Ok thank you....... I'll look out for the pic.....really appreciate it, I don't like having marks on it .....bugs me every time I get in the car lol

·
92,745 Posts
Hey Sean, what am I chopped liver?

Sean, i have a little dimple in mine. any way to get that out?

·
92,745 Posts
amg................

·
92,745 Posts
Beautiful!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,745 Posts
I'm going to be changing my AMG ones for the SLK ones shown before , wouldn't want to be called a poser , jeje !!

·
92,745 Posts
dimple on the top right

Attachments

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
dimple on the top right

You need to swap those for mine.
Simple metal design with fitted rubber bungs (look more like grommets) of which not too many are missing.
Then you'd really know what tatty looks like!
;)

BTW, I take it you guys with R171 and R172 have puddle lamps?
My R170 doesn't, and I'm struggling to get the dome light function, since the switches are read by the PSE, and the lamp driven by the N10-3.
So I suspect I'll do a direct wiring custom job, both for the footwells and for the puddle lamps (and door edge lamps). And, if I can find them, nicer door sills.

·
Super Moderator
10,745 Posts
Nice !!
I don't know how you've managed to live with that " crater " there , jeje ??:D

Perhaps you could take it and get it polished , without polishing ? You get the polisher to machine them down slightly , leaving the same finish ...

·
Super Moderator
10,745 Posts
You need to swap those for mine.
Simple metal design with fitted rubber bungs (look more like grommets) of which not too many are missing.
Then you'd really know what tatty looks like!
;)

BTW, I take it you guys with R171 and R172 have puddle lamps?
My R170 doesn't, and I'm struggling to get the dome light function, since the switches are read by the PSE, and the lamp driven by the N10-3.
So I suspect I'll do a direct wiring custom job, both for the footwells and for the puddle lamps (and door edge lamps). And, if I can find them, nicer door sills.
Cut out by hand using the original sills , hardwired to 12v and the door switches !
I've got spare grommets if you need them ...

·
92,745 Posts
Nice !!
I don't know how you've managed to live with that " crater " there , jeje ??:D

Perhaps you could take it and get it polished , without polishing ? You get the polisher to machine them down slightly , leaving the same finish ...
well, i'm not like you and sean with friends and places to just pop in and say take care of this for me!

·
92,745 Posts
i tried. it is thick metal so u really do not see the dimple on the other side

1 - 20 of 46 Posts