Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 SLK32 AMG and the aluminum sill/scuff plate has a indentation in it that I would like to attempt to straighten out. If someone can tell me how to remove it without causing any damage to anything else. I wasn't sure if I could gently pry up on it, or do I have to remove the plastic piece it's attached to and get to it from underneath. Also, when opening and closing the doors there is a slight bump, or resistance in the motion. I tried to lift up and down on the door to see if maybe a bushing was bad but that's not it. I didn't know if this was normal or not. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The entire plastic piece comes off. It's attached with clips and can be gently pried loose. I stress 'gently' because I got impatient with mine and cracked it. Take your time and make sure you're prying close to each clip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So once I remove the plastic piece, am I to assume there different attachments underneath to remove the aluminum sill plate?

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
I've just checked on some old r170 ones I have in the garage and the metal strip is stuck on with double sided tape . A hot air gun or hairdryer should help you get it off without bending it further !!
The doors have two positions on opening , perhaps this is what you are experiencing ??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I appreciate it. I would have expected double sided tape on a cheap car, not one that cost around $55K when it was new.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You might also be surprised at how expensive a good quality industrial grade double-sided tape is!

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I would have expected double sided tape on a cheap car, not one that cost around $55K when it was new.
Why?? There is no reason not to use a suitable 'modern' material for a particular job. If you look at the chassis of a Lotus Elise, it is all glued, not welded. Just because of the price, would you expect it to use an inferior (on aluminium ) bonding technique?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,373 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.