Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
* Registered
1999 SLK 230
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have read about the door cards being replied. Some good i formation.
But my problem is that the plastic from the main door pull that bolts to the door has broken leaving the screw and I bit of plastic still attached to the door.
I don't know what would be a strong enough fix to reglue the plastic back. My thought would be superglue and some fiberglass material. Resin has a hard time bonding with plastic. So I thought of superglue.
Anyone tackled this issue.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,541 Posts
If you're describing the outer casing of the interior door handle..

The problem with superglueing it on is that at some point, if you keep it long enough, you will have a door lock actuator issue, or a window winder mechanism problem, or you may just fancy upgrading the speakers. When that happens, you're going to have to remove the interior handle in order to remove the door card but you won't be able to ..

Look for an unbroken one on ebay etc.

·
* Registered
1999 SLK 230
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its actually the ends of the plastic door pull handle. I was going to take a picture but was running late this morning. It would just be for repairing the ends that the screws go through.

·
* Registered
1999 SLK 230
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a picture of the part I'm taking about. They want $80 for this so I'm trying to be cheap. And repair the ends.

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
4,159 Posts
Likely much easier to just buy another Handle or Door Card and take Handle off without breaking the setscrew ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
* Registered
2006 SLK200 (163) 6 spd Man
63 Posts
I'm breaking a 230 - is it driver or passenger side you need?

Not sure how much postage would be to the USA but it's not going to be $80

·
* Registered
1999 SLK 230
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm breaking a 230 - is it driver or passenger side you need?

Not sure how much postage would be to the USA but it's not going to be $80
Its the drivers but I really only need the handle. $80. Is a little steep. I think MB is showing it for $70 new.
I guess I will try my idea first and then see what type of strength it has. If none then I will buy one.

Thanks again for the input.

·
* Registered
1999 SLK 230
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So this has been resolved. Found it was just easier like everyone said to buy new.
Did find out its cheaper to order through MB website than to order from dealer.
To different dealers where way higher.
MB WEBSITE: $61.99
DEALER 1 : $86.00
DEALER 2 : $92.00
Lesson learned.
Thanks everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts