Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have searched the threads for this for about 30 minutes and no luck. So here goes.

Some miscreants broke both my door side windows. I ordered two new ones and just took the panels off and weather barrier. Now I am faced with installing and aligning the new windows. Any help on this would be nice. Have cleaned up all the glass bits and cleaned these two pinch clamps that hold the windows.

Not finding a thread for this I am wondering if I have taken on something few will try.

Thank you,

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Where was Charles Bronson when you needed him most? Messin' with a guy's car is right up there with messin' with a guy's horse......no mercy if caught!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I asked the question the glass had not come. It has a little hole for the rear bracket that does help line it up. Then there is a small adjustment screw for the fine tuning on the front and rear bracket. I did not tighten the clamp but what I thought was necessary to hold it to open and close the window. So far so good and the door even closes. In case anyone else feels adventuresome be careful putting in the glass as it appears it would be easy to scratch it on metal bits while installing it. The rear clamp is installed on the glass and there is a opening in the back of the door for it to fit through then it clips to the carrier.

My deductible was such that it seemed a waste for the insurance. The glass was $116.95 each plus $75 freight for both. They were packed very well and arrived quickly. As I love fixing stuff myself I just didn't think having the glass guys do it made sense. My small western Colorado town doesn't see any of these and the closest dealer is 300 miles away. I just had dreams about a 19 year old kid showing up from the glass company with a funny look on his face.

I also need to check but I think the front clamp had some glue on it. The rear is retained by the hole in the window but the front is just a pressure clamp. I can see where it might move on you and the desire to over tighten it. My old glass had to be dug out of the front clamp where it contacts the rubber only on one side.

Thanks again for the moral support and advise.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm curious- did you buy glass from Mercedes? Our car was broken into maybe three months ago. Insurance covered it but when the glass shop installed aftermarket glass, it didn't fit well. It didn't have enough curve in it to seal at the top. So they got approval from insurance to order actual MB glass. That pretty much took care of it, though I still think I'm going to have to go in and adjust it. On a cold morning, it sometimes still catches on the seal and doesn't seat correctly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was aftermarket glass. So far the seal seems very good. I am going out tomorrow and give it a test at the car wash. Its always been a little willing to allow some water to get in at the car wash so it should be interesting to see how it fares. It did seem the right side glass fit better than the left as far as the mounting in the door. But the door seal seems spot on. I actually tightened it up against the seal over what is was previously.

I did quite a bit of research and found people selling glass that they claimed was to OEM specs and shape. But who really knows. I closed the door fairly hard and it all stayed together.

You have the tapered shim on the front carrier and then the adjustment bolts on both carriers. It would be nice if the door panels had zippers. The worst thing about the experience is the amount of time required to get all the glass out of the door, floors and under the seat. The stuff is everywhere. Including the electric seat tracks which I am still fighting after 30 minutes of vacuuming.

All the best with the adjustment. I look at it as a learning process and I guess if I kill one we will just try again. The entertainment value alone is probably worth it. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
65 Posts
You definitely got better glass than our first round. Our seal issue wasn't subtle- it was an obvious gap at the trailing edge.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just did the car wash test. Its one of those Splish Splash places so you get a pressure washer from many angles. I was getting more water before the glass replacement. We had a few drops but less than before with factory glass. I was taking a rag with me to the car wash. Now I don't have to.

I spent about 1 1/2 hours today playing with the adjustments and even made a little shim for one of the supports. I can see where there could be a problem with the aftermarket glass but I was able to adjust it out.

Brief note for anybody else who might read this. If you are doing this its not that bad. Take your time and study the mechanism. But order the little plastic piece that covers the access to the mirror screws. When I fixed my door lock it broke but the new one is not as brittle. Then I killed the one on the other side with the window job. When they get brittle they just don't come out in one piece. You break the little plug that holds it in place.

Nice to chat. All the best.

John

·
Registered
91 Posts
window scrape

I see from your posts you are now the expert on windows...lol....I thought you might have a clue to solving my problem.....my passenger side window seems to be scraping on something as it comes up leaving a mark on the inside of the glass.....drivers side is fine.I can't see anything or hear any noise from the scrape and I am not game to try and pull the door cover off to have a good look(two left hands)I may never get it back together again....any clue?thanks

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,206 Posts
fyi Nev, John has not been back to the forum since that post on 11-18-2012

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
Unless you can see anything on the window trim/ rubbers that might scratch the glass , I'm afraid the door panel will have to come off to see the source of the problem !!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,206 Posts
if you used gummi recently on those door seals, it will show some streaks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
thanks

John,
thanks for the info,haven't used anything.....but I am wondering if i used some sort of lubricant on the inside of the window maybe it would help...
Curro....I was afraid of that.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
Do a search , I'm sure there's a brico on here to remove the door panels without too much trouble , they're one of the few things I haven't taken apart yet so I can't tell you how to do it , but like eveything else , slowly , but surely , with help from here , you should be able to get it done without too much trouble !!

·
Registered
91 Posts
door panel

curro...thanks for that ,i will have a look again....I looked before for glass scrape and window scratch
Nev

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi All,

Just saw the e-mail about the post. The door panels are very easy to remove. You can find the directions on the internet. I think I found them on the forum. Its about 4 screws, pull the panel free from the little plugs and lift off. I had the panel off before for the door lock vacuum line break which is a common problem. Be careful of the little upper plastic piece near the front of the window that is triangular shaped. If they are old I can almost guarantee they are going to break. They turn brittle with age. New ones are about $4.

Sorry I can spend more time on the forum. Still work about 100 hours a week.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.