Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered 98 SLK230 SOLD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEVER EVER SEND MONEY to a seller using the Paypal option of "family and friends". If the seller decides not to ship or you want to cancel, for whatever reason, and they refuse to refund your purchase you have NO RECOURSE. Money sent this way is not covered by Paypal buyer protection and some sellers know this. So...if you are instructed to pay for your purchase using the "send money to family and friends " option with the excuse they are trying to avoid paying Paypal fees, don't make the purchase. I wish I had been aware of this before I made a recent purchase here.

·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you open a dispute with Paypal?
Dispute resolution is not available to those who sent funds to a seller using the option "family and friends".
There are 2 reasons a seller would request that. 1) to cheat PayPal out of their commission or 2) to cheat the buyer out of a possible refund in the case there is a problem with the sale.
If you buy something either insist on being invoiced for it with the item described OR send the funds using the PayPal form "Pay for goods or services" and describe the item precisely. If you don't then you are at the mercy of the seller who can hold a gun to your head before you see a refund...if at all!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,406 Posts
If a seller asks me to send payment as "family and friends" because of the fees they'd otherwise have to pay, but I want to retain the protection you get from "Pay for goods or services", I offer to pay extra to cover the fees and send as paying for goods or services (assuming I'm happy with the overall deal).

That way, the seller gets the full amount they're looking for, and I still get the PayPal buyer's protection.

Note: This is based on personal experience of buying from many different sources, not anything specific to this forum.

Reactions: WoZ53 and Avel Du

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
517 Posts
There's a lot of that going on in another of my hobbies. When someone asks me to use F&F, I offer to add 4% to their selling price to cover their PayPal fees instead. If they say "no thanks", I figure I just avoided being scammed. If they say yes, then I'm safe if things go south and just figure they're too "arithmetically challenged" to list a price that nets them what they want.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
I almost never use Paypal so I'm glad this information came to light so our members are better informed. Thanks for sharing.

·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I almost never use Paypal so I'm glad this information came to light so our members are better informed. Thanks for sharing.
With pleasure. I hope I can save someone else the upset I've had to endure over the last couple of weeks dealing with this seller.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
From what I've been told this issue has been resolved so there is no reason to carry on with this thread. My team is currently working on an informational sticky about how to protect themselves when using a third party payment system like paypal. My advice to paypal users is to read carefully and do your research .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.