Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hello and thanks for such a great forum :tu:

The interior lights (center) will not shut off on my recently-purchased '03 SLK 320. This happens after I open the retractable hardtop. After this, even after I close the roof it the light remains on.

Yesterday I was able to finally get the light off after locking, unlocking, opening and closing the trunk several times. I also checked to ensure the doors, bonnet, center console, glove box and fuel filling door were all closed.

Also related to the trunk, sometimes after open or closing the roof the trunk will not latch the first time opening and closing. When this happens I am able to secure the trunk by locking and then unlocking and then closing the trunk again or unlocking and holding the trunk in the closed position while locking with the remote.

Any thoughts on things I should test? Also, is there a manual override so I can at least shut off the dome light this evening or should I just pull the fuse?

Thanks in advance!

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Welcome from NE England. I'm sure Gabus or Livefree will be along shortly to help with your problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome, Woolly!

I've pulled the fuse to save the battery for tonite. I'll start over in the morning...

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,464 Posts
new2slk

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model.
usercp, edit your details, location.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for hosting and licensing fees to the site. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC300 Founding member #7
2,173 Posts
In my SLK 350, the wiring harness on the vario roof shorted out from continuous folding. This caused several odd, random electrical problems. Check the cable in the trunk carefully and look for potentially broken wires. I moved mine around a little and was able to see the trunk light going on and off.

Maybe that is it for the older model too?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip mtiede. So far I haven't found any crimped or cut wires in the bundles but its still a strong possibility.

The only things I've found so far that looks unusual to me are the two spliced wires in the picture below. Seems odd to be a MB factory job, but I have yet to find a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had exactly that problem a while back, plus also my boot (trunk) lamp, built into the rear bulkhead, was not coming on. When I pulled it out, I found that a wire had become loose from it. I hardly dared to hope that reattaching that wire would also sort the dome light fault, but in fact it did so :bannana:. These cars have such weird interconnection :mad: between the electrical and hydraulic systems that eliminating this kind of fault is never an obvious deduction, in my (very inexpert) experience.
So maybe you should just check that your boot lamp is working and that its wires are properly attached :tu:.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks dog1940. I haven't been home to work on this issues for the past several days, so I'll give it another go today...

I never though I'd post such a question on an auto forum but I cannot find the interior boot light :confused:

The owner's manual references "trunk lighting" a couple times but that's all. I've not had trunk lighting for the short time (under 3 month) I've owned this SLK.

Anyone able to direct this noob to the light?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
The trunk light (known as a "boot light" in the UK) for the R170 is located on the left side just behind the left tail light. There is a switch on the dome light that determines if the trunk light comes on or not. See page 110 of the manual for more information on this.

R170 Manual

Hope this helps...

-Ronnie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.