Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I've recently purchased a 2000 SLK230 (74,000 miles) that I love! I've fixed a couple of minor problems with it but can't seem to solve my problem with my dome light.

The dome light will not turn off when the doors are closed. Here is what I've done so far:

- Dome light switch in center position (turns off completely in right position)
- Checked door switches - replaced both to be sure.
- Checked all fuses

Is there another switch someplace that I'm missing?

Don

· Founding Member 2006
115,545 Posts
Moving to r170 general discussion section

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message)- capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
New members and guests should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under quick links when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you,
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

· *Registered
2019 SLC300
3,122 Posts
The switch if I recall has three positions on the 170. one for off all the time, one for on all the time, and one for when doors are open. Once door is opened and closed there is a delay in the lights turning off. You might be aware of the above just want to make sure. If you understand this and then you must have a problem that maybe some other member can help with.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked PSE

Thanks. I've now checked the PSE and found that it is dry and all connectors are clean. Everything else is working fine on the car.

If I lock the car up, the dome will go off after about 30 minutes but will never go off while driving the car.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dome Light - New Information

OK...I read the manual. It says that if you leave the doors open, the dome light will turn off in 5 minutes. Additionally, the same page says that after closing the last door at night, the headlights will come back on for a few minutes for security - mine has never done that.

I put an ohm meter to the door jam switches again and found that the passenger door jam switch wires shows a short. I followed the wire as far as I can and it all looks good. Another forum mentioned that it could be a Combinatin Control Module problem but everything else seems to work fine.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello! at first, sorry for my bad english ;) I've read the discussions about the interior light staying on..i have the exact problem, I've tried lots of possibilites that are causing the problem, but I haven't found one yet. I checked PSE also, but everything seems to work fine. Have you found the sollution yet?
Best regards from Slovenia,
Nejc

· Founding Member 2006
115,545 Posts
Nejc,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. And it only takes about 30 seconds to do!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2000 SLK230 Dome Light Switch Fixed.

Hello! at first, sorry for my bad english ;) I've read the discussions about the interior light staying on..i have the exact problem, I've tried lots of possibilites that are causing the problem, but I haven't found one yet. I checked PSE also, but everything seems to work fine. Have you found the sollution yet?
Best regards from Slovenia,
Nejc
I did get it resolved, although I don't know how. It just started working again.

Don Pagel
[email protected]

· Founding Member 2006
115,545 Posts
There is something to be said about luck. I wish mine would start working..
Mine however does not have that pump in the trunk unless I have to dig deeper.
it is a diesel E300 1995 with 220K on it. Thanks for the hope.
Bruce
Bruce, see your private message from me on your question in other thread

· *Premium Member
2003 SLK230
344 Posts
When I had this problem with my old 230 it turned out to be the switch for the boot light.
Mark
Sorry to revive an old thread, just wanted to add, I had the same problem, but rather than the dome light coming on fully it was just on really dim. I had removed all the boot trim to try and fix the roof, which included removing the boot light. However, the contacts for the boot light were shorting through a bit of the chassis, making the interior dome light turn on! After separating the contacts in the boot, my dome light is now back to normal.

Thanks,

Dez

· Registered
5 Posts
The switch if I recall has three positions on the 170. one for off all the time, one for on all the time, and one for when doors are open. Once door is opened and closed there is a delay in the lights turning off. You might be aware of the above just want to make sure. If you understand this and then you must have a problem that maybe some other member can help with.
Check the trunk light switch...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.