Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question mainly has to do with the WINDRESTRICTOR product but I guess there are other Mods that might illicit the same question.

Hi I am currently LEASING a 2015 SLK250. Because I do not OWN the vehicle I'm pretty sure there are modifications that might not sit well with MBZ.

I may have worded my title a bit off about the warranty because I understand when I turn the car back in all modifications need to be removed and put back in original condition. But what do you do for the years you lease the car.

If a windrestrictor product is installed and you need to take it for routine MB service. Do you have to remove it (going through the re-install all over again) before taking in for service each time?

Does anyone have any experience dealing with MBZ on a matter like this.

thanks in advance

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,215 Posts
My question mainly has to do with the WINDRESTRICTOR product but I guess there are other Mods that might illicit the same question.

Hi I am currently LEASING a 2015 SLK250. Because I do not OWN the vehicle I'm pretty sure there are modifications that might not sit well with MBZ.

I may have worded my title a bit off about the warranty because I understand when I turn the car back in all modifications need to be removed and put back in original condition. But what do you do for the years you lease the car.

If a windrestrictor product is installed and you need to take it for routine MB service. Do you have to remove it (going through the re-install all over again) before taking in for service each time?

Does anyone have any experience dealing with MBZ on a matter like this.

thanks in advance
It is not a mechanical change to your car so I would say no.

SmartTop mod has a 'hide from service' mode :D

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for reply.

I may be not be picking up what you mean by 'mechanical' change .

From reading through some of the info on the forum and windrestrictor site.
The install on SLK does call for the removal of rear speaker, to then remove some screws and install NEW longer screws and a bracket..
Then i guess you put back the speaker assembly with bracket that accepts the bottom of the windrestrictor panel. The windrestrictor panel is then secured to the bracket.

When going in for service either you need to leave the windrestictor in or remove it and the bracket. I'm just wondering what happens when you drive in to MBZ with the product installed.

thanks

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,215 Posts
I don't consider removing screws to install the WR a change to the car.
It would be the same to me as if I put chrome fins on the vents on the hood.
I installed something 'mechanically, ie, screwed on'. That of course is not like I put on headers, etc :D
I believe also that changing and putting in different air filters, does not constitute a 'change' that would affect the warranty.:D
If removing and replacing the speaker screws caused the speaker to stop working and you took it in for warranty work for the speaker, then yes, then MB could say, you caused it. Then you get to pay for that replacement. They can't say, you broke the speaker, now we cannot do warranty work on your engine. Then it is time to go to another MB dealer for service.
WR is just cosmetic, not mechanical

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I would think if you read the fine print in your lease it would not permit any modifications to the vehicle. But having said that, the Windrestrictor is such a small and simple mod, and very easy to remove before the car goes into the shop, I would not be too concerned about it. The SmartTop does indeed have an 'off' mode, but since it is plugged into the cars digital control system, it might be more of an issue if the dealer somehow finds it. I have both in my car, but it just came off warranty, and is owned not leased. I did wait until after the warranty period before I did any DIY projects.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,454 Posts
I wouldn't think twice about the WindRestrictor since as Jeff said due to the type of mod. The SmartTop can be disabled, thus not detectable, but other mods like the illuminated Star might be an issue as they tap into the electrical system. Even SprintBooster for that matter, as anything electrical can trigger a CEL and the SLK seems very sensitive to that type of thing.

Since the WindRestrictor is just a fitment I don't think the service folks would give it a second look. But if you ant to be safe, it is easy to uninstall as popping off the rear speaker grill is very easy to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:smile:Thanks for the replies to my question.

I'm going to go with Windrestrictor because the OEM mesh cuts down too much vision when looking thru rear view mirror. The clear Windrestrictor looks like it will do the trick (cut down the air but allow to see better).

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
:smile:Thanks for the replies to my question.

I'm going to go with Windrestrictor because the OEM mesh cuts down too much vision when looking thru rear view mirror. The clear Windrestrictor looks like it will do the trick (cut down the air but allow to see better).
So do you have black or silver roll-hoops? I only ask because I thought all US cars had silver roll hoops and air-guides.

I am working on the basis that because you state USA as a location you are in the USA of course!

I have the clear Perspex Windrestrictor and, on base spec UK cars there is no speaker to remove. You just lever off the speaker grill, remove the two bolts, fit the bracket and put the bolts back. It's literally 5 minutes to do it and, as you need to take those bolts off for a smart-top install as well, it's possible to do it with no extra work whatsoever if you do it at the same time as you install smart-top.

I recently swapped out the Windrestrictor because my car is going back to the lease company and I was surprised how much better the mesh was at blocking out the high-speed air over your neck and shoulders. The Windrestrictor has quite a big gap down the edges and I may well look to make something that blocks that up if I refit it.

I also get very bad reflections of the lit-up instruments in the rear view mirror at night with the clear perspex. It's not disastrous, but it's an imperfect solution as it currently stands.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So do you have black or silver roll-hoops? I only ask because I thought all US cars had silver roll hoops and air-guides.

I am working on the basis that because you state USA as a location you are in the USA of course!

I have the clear Perspex Windrestrictor and, on base spec UK cars there is no speaker to remove. You just lever off the speaker grill, remove the two bolts, fit the bracket and put the bolts back. It's literally 5 minutes to do it and, as you need to take those bolts off for a smart-top install as well, it's possible to do it with no extra work whatsoever if you do it at the same time as you install smart-top.

I recently swapped out the Windrestrictor because my car is going back to the lease company and I was surprised how much better the mesh was at blocking out the high-speed air over your neck and shoulders. The Windrestrictor has quite a big gap down the edges and I may well look to make something that blocks that up if I refit it.

I also get very bad reflections of the lit-up instruments in the rear view mirror at night with the clear perspex. It's not disastrous, but it's an imperfect solution as it currently stands.
thanks for your reply. I think you answered several of my questions.

Silver yes. USA, New York, My car did not come with airguides.

I've been using the mesh and it works fine, just I don't like the vision (however, the Windrestrictor sounds like it might have a nighttime head light reflection issue. So......

thanks for giving me some things to think about

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.