Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all SLK owners!
Do you have to stop the car to move the top up/down?
Can this be done when moving with at least a minimal speed?

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah it can be done with the car gently rolling, very minimal speed is allowed.

Search for SmartTop for additional roof features but activating the roof at any real speed is not a good idea.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My Dealer service manager told me not to get the Smart top. Becouse, above ten miles an hour speed, when the boot opens. it accts as air break and this could bend the arms. Is this correct?

D

·
0 Posts
The 10 mph bit is a guess, MB have not published or to the best of my knowledge tested the ultimate speed at which the roof will fail in motion because by design that can't happen, it acts as an air brake at any speed but the effect at the factory set max speed is obviously within the structure's capability.

Its not just a case of bending components but causing the roof to move out of alignment, it is very fragile when its in motion and one bump in the road at the wrong time and you could find that it wont close.

I personally don't like how the ST works, i think they are messing with some expensive components that should be left alone, that being said the module does add some very cool features to the roof over and above simply allowing the limit speed to be adjusted plus we have many ST owners on this site and i have only heard of one or two roof control system failures on cars with them fitted.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
So I was told - or read - somewhere that MB tested the roof to 50mph. Not for use while moving, but for when the wind is blowing really hard and you need to put the top up..

I can't find anything from MB that supports this - but it makes sense that the mechanism has to be able to support wind loading.

Personally, I use the ST to put the top up/down remotely, and one-touch up/down more than anything else. I think I used it with the car rolling 3 or 4 times, and that's been from the garage to the end of the driveway. I'm more concerned about bumps than wind, though.

Personally it's the "must have" mod in my book.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
IMHO, the SmartTop is worth it just for the remote operation alone. It's so nice to open the top as you approach the car, and have it down before you get there...

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,648 Posts
smarttop all the way!

Programming the max speed for top operation while driving:
While driving at the desired speed, press and hold the phone "end" button on the steering wheel until you hear an audible confirmation. The speed limit can be programmed from standstill up to 35mph (60km/h) on the hardtops (SLK/SL) and up to 25mph (40km/h) on the softtop (CLK).

·
Registered
90 Posts
smarttop all the way!

Programming the max speed for top operation while driving:
While driving at the desired speed, press and hold the phone "end" button on the steering wheel until you hear an audible confirmation. The speed limit can be programmed from standstill up to 35mph (60km/h) on the hardtops (SLK/SL) and up to 25mph (40km/h) on the softtop (CLK).
Great tip. Thanks jbanks15:bannana:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,648 Posts
slk new buyer:

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale.
usercp, edit your details, location.
Also, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for security updates and repairs to the site. Any amount is welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
610 Posts
It's not a huge inconvience, but I have had occasion where I wish it would start to open/close when I'm moving slowly. For example, the scenarion where I have the roof up on the highway and pull off to a secondary road to the beach with no need to stop fully - just slow down. In the current design I need to pull over to the side, come to a complete stop, hit the button to get things moving, and then slowly start on my way.

In my particular case I'd like it if I could be moving 10 - 15 mph and start the open proceedure.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
It's not a huge inconvience, but I have had occasion where I wish it would start to open/close when I'm moving slowly. For example, the scenarion where I have the roof up on the highway and pull off to a secondary road to the beach with no need to stop fully - just slow down. In the current design I need to pull over to the side, come to a complete stop, hit the button to get things moving, and then slowly start on my way.

In my particular case I'd like it if I could be moving 10 - 15 mph and start the open proceedure.
This is where the functionality of the SmartTop module comes in. Moreover, one can operate the roof and/or windows from a distance as you approach/leave your parked vehicle.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused:I've never operated the top while moving. Just never saw the need. I agree the SmartTop is a great addition and I like the additional freatures available. My favorites, definitely remote operation, and the "chirp" on lock and unlock. Based on what's been said about potential damage to the top mechanism while the vehicle is in motion , I definitely won't use that feature.

·
Registered
610 Posts
This is where the functionality of the SmartTop module comes in. Moreover, one can operate the roof and/or windows from a distance as you approach/leave your parked vehicle.
Thanks Eddy! I have the SmartTop and love it for all the reasons stated here. Mostly the opening from a distance and the one touch operation. I was lamenting that I wish the one touch would initiate the open/close process without having to come to a stop first - at least that is how mine works.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
Thanks Eddy! I have the SmartTop and love it for all the reasons stated here. Mostly the opening from a distance and the one touch operation. I was lamenting that I wish the one touch would initiate the open/close process without having to come to a stop first - at least that is how mine works.
I can initiate my top while I'm moving via one-touch and the SmartTop. I usually start the top up while I'm pulling into my driveway so that it's up as I park. Have you set your top "speed limit" as described in the instructions? That is a necessary step before it will work in motion...

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
It's a must have, not only does it 'wow' people but it's practical.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
I can initiate my top while I'm moving via one-touch and the SmartTop. I usually start the top up while I'm pulling into my driveway so that it's up as I park. Have you set your top "speed limit" as described in the instructions? That is a necessary step before it will work in motion...
Ditto on this.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thanks for that great tip:bannana:

I just had never set the top speed becasue it seemed to work fine out of the box. What a dope I am sometimes :)!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.