Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 1999 slk230-sold
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I throw the Question out and see what you think. :surprise:

I sometimes wonder if the SLK has a future with Mercedes. MB tries to fill the Market with more Mini/SUV,s. Will we really see a new Model in 2019 or another redesigned car with the same Platform. I wonder if there is a market in the long run for the SLK. If Audi BMW will kill there 2 Seater will MB follow? And than there will be new Players on the Block Alfa Romeo/Fiat and Mini. Those are Questions that keep a Truck Driver awake at night killing time while driving to Las Vegas.:grin:

Well let,s hear it ..........

·
Registered
73 Posts
A premium manufacturer like MB will for sure need to keep a line of various size 2 seater roadsters in the model range, and as for most (all?) other model series it has always proven wise to have an entry level model for the customers to start the journey from. I think this will be true for MB and the predecessors to the SLK as well. There will always be room for an entry level 2 seater roadster to capture a wider portion of the market. The larger, much more expensive, SL's are not in reach for many first time buyers.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Hard to say. Mazda have just launched the latest MX5 / Miata, so they clearly believe that the 2-seat roadster market will continue to be healthy. I'm assuming the Porsche will continue with the Boxster too.

As for the SLK, I hope Mercedes continue with the R17x series.

·
Registered
630 Posts
As said in another topic the convertible body type generates zero sale in China.
As for BMW Z4 this will problably decide if renewing the SLC as a roadster is worth it or not.

Also sales of convertible is declining drastically in Europe.
Apparently GM was more or less forced to export the Opel Cascada in the US and Australia to make a return on investment on the assembly line.

Added to that the fact that hardtop convertible is a thing of the past and then you really understand the question of the future of the SLC is a valid one.

·
Registered 2008 SLK350
2,271 Posts
FWIW, in a recent interview Wolf-Dieter Kurz, vice-president of MB's productgroup SUV and sportscars states that MB has absolutely no plans to discontinue the SLK. He also states that sales for the larger SL are growing in China and Russia but the smaller SLK doesn't do well in these markets. But, again according to Kurz, the SLK was always mainly targeted at the European market and is performing there according expectations and, I quote, "the segment is large enough to continue with the car."
We'll see what the future brings.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Interesting question!

I am sure there is always a market for a small 2 seater - its a question of who delivers it. Mazda or Germany?

We, the other day, thought maybe a time to change out the X1. Called cold into a Porsche dealer and gave them a 'clean sheet of paper'. It was uncanny the way the sales girl addressed my wife as the chooser and immediately extolled the new Macan SUV as the only way forward and all this despite my looking hard at a Boxter S! Much the same at Mercedes, its all about selling SUVs now.

As already said, the SLK one day, if it does not go, will lose the vario roof and any raw grunt such as the 5.5L all in favour of a rag top and an, albeit impressive, sewing machine engine! I am planning the possibility of buying one of the last R172 55s in 2017 as whatever happens, this will the end of an era model.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My take on this is that part of the re-naming from SLK to SLC
allows MB to :

Use the C-Class platform for the next generation Roadster/R173
and then introduce an 'SLA' using the A-Class platform.

Platform sharing will reduce R & D costs and make such
low volume sellers viable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts