Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the SLK World and relatively new to the French market for 2nd hand cars - I was surprised how carefully I had to inspect my car when I bought it. Even so, some (minor) things were not "as described" and the previous owner showed "no shame" when challenged.

Checking for pictures of SLK's this morning I came across this. Clearly NOT an Edition 10 or anywhere near - wrong year, wrong spec, wrong interior colours, wrong wheels, etc. Or am I wrong?

Is this sort of misrepresentation common in other places?

MERCEDES SLK II 350 EDITION 10 7G-TRONIC 2004 Essence occasion - Bouches-du-Rhône 13

Mercedes-Benz honors the SLK with "Edition 10" model

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,184 Posts
I think it's two issues.

Buyers expecting a showroom perfect 10+ year old car, with full MB service record, whilst paying under value.
They exist, but at a premium.

And poker playing sellers.
They get that the above buyer exists and try to get the premium price for an average car.

Viewing a shiney car, on a sunny day without THOROUGH research makes it easy to buy a lemon.

Exactly what we did.
Ending up paying even more as we work through the issues on a car we couldn't have honestly sold on.
now, slowly we are getting to a point where the car is more like what we thought we'd bought.
So no point in selling a 'sorted' car.

Homework before buying.
Review the threads for the model and spec of choice.
Read the buying guide:- http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/68666-new-used-vehicle-pickup-checklist.html
Get the VIN and use Daves' (dbgrn) link previous.

Not all sellers are devious.
But if we buyers get smarter before we buy we can help put them out of business with luck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All good advice - what else did I expect from SLK World members?

Only thing I'd add is make sure everything is as specified as this also affects the value. For example, my car should have been fitted with BI-Xenons but these had been replaced with secondhand halogens. Might not be easy to spot but obviously yellow light not blue. We "split" the price of aftermarket replacements and I got another 250€ off the price. Similarly, the headlamp washers had been removed so another "discount". Everything is negotiable so research and a through inspection pays off. I was just surprised that the Seller, who was a genuinely nice guy, really wasn't bothered by the misrepresentation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.