Mercedes SLK World banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
1,246 Posts
Sadly I don't have time to type out "War and Peace" but Google produced this which will help explain what I was advisng ;) :-

Remember some Cars take longer number of Drive Cycles and Engine Off / On cycles than others, which may only require one ;)
Every time you reset Fault Code(s) you also reset the Readiness Monitors which then needs the Drive Cycles ;)

BTW, for once I agree with you @Christopher Goodwin :)

The way I often put it is this ....

"When someone buys a used Car they now own it and all its issues, together with the potential it had a cheap out previous owner that didn't maintain it properly ;)
Thanks Dave, I'll give that a peruse (at my leisure). (y)

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
1,246 Posts
You bought an older used car and have only had it a week and are already upset because things have gone wrong? Bad move, sounds like you need a new car with a warranty and service loaner. But out the $60k for a new car and you won't need to worry about repairs and maintenance.
Well! That is some, straight talking, tough love.

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
* Registered
2001 SLK320 Sport - 99K miles
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I haven't ever seen build-up like that. I guess Mercedes engines run dirty?
I just replaced my brake light switch and the new part was defective. At $7.95US I thought I was getting a deal. Not so.

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
4,165 Posts
Remove the Air Filter Box and you can better see the Breathers are on top of the left and right Camshaft Covers.

To clean them out the Cam Covers need removing, (new Gaskets required), then remove the actual Breather Box Covers, (there are no Gaskets, they are glued with High Temperature Automotive Silicon).

Thorougly clean the whole lot out, including all the tiny orifices, then reassemble, it is advisable to change the Bolts for new, and also fit new Rubber Hoses that go between these and the Throttle Body.

Edit I see @M4rCu5 posted the link ;)

HTH ;)

Reactions: Squishband

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
4,165 Posts
I guess Mercedes engines run dirty?
Not with regular Oil Changes ;) Which comes back to previous owners that don't maintain Cars ;)

BTW, I see you bought a cheapo Brake Switch, please, if you want this Car rock solid for your wife, don't buy that junk ..................

As you have learned, it either doesn't work out of the box, or fails in short order ;)

Reactions: Squishband

·
* Registered
2001 SLK320 Sport - 99K miles
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So, this car did have a fairly good record of oil changes. Actually the PO did an oil change just before I bought it. I will keep an eye on how quickly the oil turns dirty. I have bought a set of hoses for the breathers and will get to cleaning them when I get the hoses. From what I read, over time, the breather hoses get brittle and crack.
Thanks -

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,545 Posts
So, this car did have a fairly good record of oil changes. Actually the PO did an oil change just before I bought it. I will keep an eye on how quickly the oil turns dirty. I have bought a set of hoses for the breathers and will get to cleaning them when I get the hoses. From what I read, over time, the breather hoses get brittle and crack.
Thanks -
The Rocker Covers/Cam Covers/Valve Covers that were on mine originally, were spotless inside, as was the oil which is always a wonderful sight to behold :)
20200526_140020.jpg

The ML pair that I bought to clean up and paint to avoid taking the car off of the road for a length of time, not so good but nowhere near as bad as Dave's were.
20200505_161626.jpg

You're quite right about the hoses, they crack and split and are sometimes very difficult to see exactly where, here's one of mine ..
20200419_130503.jpg

41 - 49 of 49 Posts