Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
711 Posts
I didn't think the door windows drop on opening the door on the R170. Mine don't.
My windows doesn´t drop either.

But for the OP.. I had a couple of "minor" issues with my car :unsure:
It´s worth the effort to get it fixed, So hang in there and good luck

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK320
810 Posts
So, I was on my way to get the car inspected and my Check Engine light comes on. Good Grief! That light had never been on, but I did replace my battery last night.
The tech checked and cleared my codes. Told me to drive 20 miles and come back. I did and the light did not come back on, but when he checked it the cars monitors had not cleared. Does anyone know a secret to clearing the monitors on OBDII?
It did pass the safety part of the inspection.
Same codes? Here's one for the P0173 code: Check Engine P0173

P0410 can be caused by many things. In my case the K40 was the problem, but I assume you've fitted your new one already. I would suggest searching. Put something like this into your search engine site:slkworld.com R170 P0410. You can change the "P0410" to what you want. Don't be put off by the odd really bad cause - they are very rare.

You ought to get a code reader. Lots of discussions on code readers on here too.

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
4,165 Posts

·
Super Moderator (UK)
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
3,706 Posts
if your windows don’t drop 1/4” on opening door, pull the fuses (27 and 28 I think) for a few mins and they reset.
The door windows do not drop on an R170. I think that feature is R171 onwards.

Reactions: Dave2302

·
* Registered
2001 SLK320 Sport - 99K miles
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for all the replies! My windows don't drop with opening or closing doors, but my mirrors do work.
I will clean my MAS and see if that helps, but my current concern is clearing the OBDII monitors so I can get my plates.
THX AGAIN -

·
4,165 Posts
but my current concern is clearing the OBDII monitors so I can get my plates
Like I said, you've gotta just keep driving it and stopping and starting the Engine, some of the V8's and V12's can take up to 500 miles before all the Monitors are ready, if you reset the Motor ECU during this period you will be right back to square one, have to drive cycle it all over again ;)

Hope this clarifies ;)

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
711 Posts
Look at this..

I got a couple of other threads as well, but this is a summary of what I have done so far.
And I still have a couple of thing to do this winter, And that´s way I have invested in my own SDS.

If you need help, just ask.. the expertis on this site is incredible.

And don´t give up, because when she is running nicely you forget the time you spent and just enjoy driving instead.

·
* Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I cleaned the MAF sensor and ran at idle for 2 minutes with no engine light - so far.
I really like driving this car, so it will take a lot more effort/problems before I give up on it. The cosmetics are coming along nicely (something I'm more adept at than mechanics) and my son likes driving it more than I do (his pleasure at anything gives me joy). I'm on the fence about changing the transmission fluid because it shifts perfectly smooth now and I don't want to create problems.
Your assistance with these issues is invaluable, especially since the Mercedes dealers are merciless in their charges.
Thank You - Thank You - Thank You

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
1,246 Posts
Like I said, you've gotta just keep driving it and stopping and starting the Engine, some of the V8's and V12's can take up to 500 miles before all the Monitors are ready, if you reset the Motor ECU during this period you will be right back to square one, have to drive cycle it all over again ;)

Hope this clarifies ;)
Now @Dave2302 that would clarify, if I knew WTF you were talking about. 🤷‍♂️ Pray tell - when you have a moment or seven ;)

·
Registered 2002 SLK320/2002 SLK32 AMG
106 Posts
You bought an older used car and have only had it a week and are already upset because things have gone wrong? Bad move, sounds like you need a new car with a warranty and service loaner. But out the $60k for a new car and you won't need to worry about repairs and maintenance.

·
4,165 Posts
when you have a moment or seven
Sadly I don't have time to type out "War and Peace" but Google produced this which will help explain what I was advisng ;) :-

Remember some Cars take longer number of Drive Cycles and Engine Off / On cycles than others, which may only require one ;)
Every time you reset Fault Code(s) you also reset the Readiness Monitors which then needs the Drive Cycles ;)

BTW, for once I agree with you @Christopher Goodwin :)

The way I often put it is this ....

"When someone buys a used Car they now own it and all its issues, together with the potential it had a cheap out previous owner that didn't maintain it properly ;)

Reactions: Squishband

·
* Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So, does stating the obvious of buying a new car to avoid problems help anything? No. It's just a spiteful attempt at trying to prove mental superiority in decisions that are, well, obvious.
My question was as simple. As I started getting into the mechanics of a vehicle manufactured by a company I was unfamiliar with , I found several issues I didn't expect. That led to my questioning about the overall reliability and problem proneness of this vehicle. Because maybe I had, after all, made a bad decision.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
711 Posts
Let start over.
My car has been a real nightmare with a lot of problems, and when I was done with the most of the issues I blow up the engine.. A complete engine swap was needed.
I did it with help from this site and google.
I don´t regret it.. Now when she is running nicely she is just wonderful..
I will put her in the garage for the winter and work on some small issues I have..
Don´t give up,, that car will give a lot of positive energy

·
* Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So, your post begs the question: What caused the engine to blow up?
That would most probably be my "giving up" scenario.
My concern about reliability is my wife being stranded by a breakdown after I have done all I could to assure the roadwirthiness of the vehicle.
THX

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
711 Posts
I´m not 100% sure but the main cause seems to be the blocked channels in the breather covers.
I don´t know the right name for it ..
That forced oil in to the intake manifold and filled up the cylinders with oil.
When I shifted down and the rpm raised the oil ignited and cyl 1 was gone..
Remove your valve covers and make sure that they are clean..

·
4,165 Posts
Breathers should be done as part of maintenance especially on a car this age ;)

By and large the V6 is pretty reliable ;)

BTW @pgilliam1 ..................

I should add that I definitely wasn't having a pop at you by agreeing with Mr Goodwin, I was explaining that whenever you buy a used car you should expect the worst, own it's issues as well, and then get on top of it, then it will be good and reliable for many years to come ;)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts