1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,720 Posts
You've obviously been reading the right threads.

There is little sign of folks coming back on and saying "here we go again, seat failure".

I guess that says that the repair is good.

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
233 Posts

·
233 Posts
Just an update on this- I received the heater pads I listed above today. I slid them inside the seat (they fit perfectly), soldered them into the factory wiring, and put everything back together. Turned the key on ACC, pressed the button, and waited... success! Time will tell how long they last, but at only $16/pair, I'm happy with how it turned out!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't suppose you took any photos on how you done this and how easy it was to gain access into the seat and what wires exactly you needed to connect to? Did you need to remove the seat etc?

Yes, from my question, you can guess my heated seats have gone also but both backs work fine.

Thanks

Steve

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,763 Posts
My Chief Navigator (& any random passengers that threaten to do so) are under strict instructions to NEVER kneel on the SLK seats.....
...and I've never been tempted to kneel on the seats to clean the inside of the rear windows & also
put My hand on the centre console, when leaning in to retrieve stuff from the car:
So luckily, mine are still both working 0:)

But My (2001) 406 Coupe heated drivers seat stopped working & I soldered the heater element lead
back together with a bit of heat shrink tubing, about 60,000 miles & many years ago & still working :tu:

The Peugeot heater seat element are covered in a cotton type coating and could see one of the brakes
due to a burn mark..!!
But the second brake was found using needle work type pins, on the end of My Fluke Meter leads,
to prick through the insulation, to find the 2nd location....!!

·
233 Posts
I don't suppose you took any photos on how you done this and how easy it was to gain access into the seat and what wires exactly you needed to connect to? Did you need to remove the seat etc?

Yes, from my question, you can guess my heated seats have gone also but both backs work fine.

Thanks

Steve
Sadly, I did not take any photos of this, as there was a nice writeup already in post #8 of the second link in the OP's post- Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - Inexpensive seat heater replacements

I did remove the seat from the vehicle, and the proper wires to connect to are the ones that are in the center of the seat cushion- you'll see them right away. It wasn't a terribly difficult job, but I made certain to take my time so I didn't damage anything.

Also, they're still working wonderfully! :smile:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sadly, I did not take any photos of this, as there was a nice writeup already in post #8 of the second link in the OP's post- Mercedes-Benz Forum - View Single Post - Inexpensive seat heater replacements

I did remove the seat from the vehicle, and the proper wires to connect to are the ones that are in the center of the seat cushion- you'll see them right away. It wasn't a terribly difficult job, but I made certain to take my time so I didn't damage anything.

Also, they're still working wonderfully! :smile:
Did the connectors on the Carbon Fiber Auto Car SUV Seat Heated Heater Heating Pad you purchased in that link, just connect straight into the original Mercedes one or did you need to wire it in . I ask because I'm not too good with electrics . For that read hopeless :grin:
If they do just connect in, I think I will have a go at this
Thanks again
Steve

·
233 Posts
Did the connectors on the Carbon Fiber Auto Car SUV Seat Heated Heater Heating Pad you purchased in that link, just connect straight into the original Mercedes one or did you need to wire it in . I ask because I'm not too good with electrics . For that read hopeless :grin:
If they do just connect in, I think I will have a go at this
Thanks again
Steve
Unfortunately, they don't... however, there's only 2 wires that you need to connect, so it's very easy! Just cut, strip, twist them together, and tape them. I soldered mine together and heat-shrunk them, but if you cannot do this it really won't affect anything. I don't believe even polarity matters here. To put it this way- if you can get the seat out of the vehicle by yourself, you're more than capable of doing the rest of the job. :grin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.