Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original SLK 350 front bumper cover cracked and for around the same price I can buy the 55 AMG bumper cover(which looks better imo) but is it a straight swap ? Or will some work need to be done to get it to fit? I have a 2006 SLK 350 w sport package

·
Registered
140 Posts
My original SLK 350 front bumper cover cracked and for around the same price I can buy the 55 AMG bumper cover(which looks better imo) but is it a straight swap ? Or will some work need to be done to get it to fit? I have a 2006 SLK 350 w sport package
Other key parts which are different between the two bumper types include :

- energy absorption foams (3 pieces)
- fog light carrier brackets (left and right)
- grill sections (upper grill is optional, but lower 3 grills are mandatory)
- fog lights x 2 (not 100% sure on this, you should check)

Then you need also to consider whether you have parking sensors or not, and whether going forward you want them or not.

And finally, you need to consider whether you have headlamp washers or not, and whether going forward you want them or not.

With all the parts in hand and the new bumper cover painted its an easy swap - about 3 hours work for a DIY novice - with no special tools required.

Recently I installed a 2010 model post-facelift front bumper (and door mirrors) onto one of my my 2005 model pre-facelift SLK350s. Nether bumper is AMG, but I did it myself and the photos below give you the idea. The third and fourth photo is of the front and rear of the 2010 bumper assembly ready to be installed. I was lucky enough to purchase this assembly complete from an owner who just upgraded to an AMG bumper - it was in perfect condition and as the colour also matched I didn't even need it repainted.

I have also attached the WIS for pre and post facelift (non AMG) bumper assemblies. If you study the photos carefully you will see the parts that differ, and you can expect something similar for AMG (I don't have the WIS).

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2009 SLK55 AMG
5,010 Posts
It will fit provided the AMG you source is from the same "era" (in your case pre-facelift). Also, your car needs to have the Sport Package already - which you say yours has - otherwise you need a lot more stuff such as the grille inserts and fog lights. But for a Sport Pack car it should be a straight swap.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It will fit provided the AMG you source is from the same "era" (in your case pre-facelift). Also, your car needs to have the Sport Package already - which you say yours has - otherwise you need a lot more stuff such as the grille inserts and fog lights. But for a Sport Pack car it should be a straight swap.
A post-facelift (non AMG) bumper fits perfectly on a pre-facelift (non AMG) R171 - see my posting/photos above.

I would be interested to know why there is an issue in fitting, say, a post-facelift AMG bumper to a pre-facelift SLK350? I'm not aware of any differences in the mounting points etc.

Likewise, to my knowledge, the "Sports Package" brings differences in spring height, strut model and torsion bar diameter. What does "Sports Package" bring in terms of differences in bumper mounting?

I've disassembled the front end of all three of my SLKs (two have Sports Package) more than a few times, researched parts ad nauseum, swapped parts etc., updated models etc., and I'm not aware that pre and post facelift have different mountings, or that Sports Package has any impact.

But I'm still learning. :wink:

Photo below is just prior to me fitting a new bumper assembly to my 2004 SLK200.

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2009 SLK55 AMG
5,010 Posts
A post-facelift (non AMG) bumper fits perfectly on a pre-facelift (non AMG) R171 - see my posting/photos above.

I would be interested to know why there is an issue in fitting, say, a post-facelift AMG bumper to a pre-facelift SLK350? I'm not aware of any differences in the mounting points etc.

Likewise, to my knowledge, the "Sports Package" brings differences in spring height, strut model and torsion bar diameter. What does "Sports Package" bring in terms of differences in bumper mounting?

I've disassembled the front end of all three of my SLKs (two have Sports Package) more than a few times, researched parts ad nauseum, swapped parts etc., updated models etc., and I'm not aware that pre and post facelift have different mountings, or that Sports Package has any impact.

But I'm still learning. :wink:

Photo below is just prior to me fitting a new bumper assembly to my 2004 SLK200.
I'm basing this mostly on the thread by Wolfman (CLICKY!) who did this and ended up having to buy a lot of bits. There is also another guy in that thread who did it and they also said it ended up setting them back over $3K to complete the process properly.

·
*Registered
No SLK owned
687 Posts
I have just rebuilt the front bumper on my 350 with AMG package and did look at the 55 bumper but everything is different, all the foams and cages.
The mounts are the same in the same place and the spots are the same but the grills differ.

If you do this I need a lower grill and will buy it.

Thats a 2007 AMG front grill I need.
All the grills are needed to fit the 55 bumper.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
I think, provided that you get all of the bits with the 'new' bumper then it's a straight swap (ie, if you took a complete facelift bumper off a good car, it'll go onto a prefacelift, AMG or not)

As has been mentioned, PTs and headlamp washers need to be taken into consideration, but the mounts are in the same place

I think Wolfman ended up with new main-delaer prices in the thread which does push up the price no end!!

Adamantium ( he's no longer on here) put an AMG bumper on his 350 .... amoingdt other things!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
So getting the complete bumper assembly as pictured in photos 3 and 4 in post 2 above for just US$370 was a very good purchase !

And as it was also in the correct colour it didn't even need repainting. :smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.