Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered 2009 SLK55 AMG
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend suggested that I put the 172 "V8 AMG" badges on the side of my 171 SLK55... Would that be posing, or pretentious?

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,899 Posts
Hi SoopRoop, I personally don't think so as you are driving an SLK 55 and the badges do look cool. Now if I was to do that with my SLK280 that would be all sorts of wrong. lol

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,895 Posts
Do it Rupert so I can see how it looks on yours!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,895 Posts

·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
102 Posts
Since the badge is 'just' telling people what you have, then it's not posing. As long as the badge is accurate to the engine, acessories etc, I can't see anything wrong with that.

If you are concerned with it being pretentious, then that's a different issue. I feel like if you even feel a need to ask that question, then you already have your answer.

·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are concerned with it being pretentious, then that's a different issue. I feel like if you even feel a need to ask that question, then you already have your answer.
Perhaps. I'm just valuing the advice of my peers. If y'all don't think it's pretentious, then there's no reason for me to disagree... Thank you for your input!:)

·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can't see the badges from the inside.
The only things I care about on the inside are: comfort, sound (music/exhaust) and g-forces... :biglaugh:

The exterior badges are for those outside the vehicle, who are curious/appreciative...:)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Personally I'm not a fan of adding any badging to the car - it does seem somewhat pretentous to me (unless it's for something really 'special' or 'unique'. Adding the "V8 AMG" badge doesn't signify anything 'special' to me so I wouldn't do it. But, since it's factually true, I don't consider it a 'horrible' thing.

I understand wanting other opinions and this is just mine. Hope it helps to some degree. If you decide to do it, please post pics.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Adding the V8 ///AMG badging from the MY12/13 SLK 55 AMG would be confusing as the logos are different from R171 to the R172! But only a careful eye would notice the change... :)

Mercedes changed the A in AMG to "lean" up against the M. I guess it's the new styling thing... In the R171 and (probably) prior, it was just a simple ///AMG.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Do many people who are either none SLK owners or petrol heads even know the difference between all the SLK's on the road. I doubt if many would know what engine the car in front has even if the badge says 200, 350, 55 and the significance of the letters AMG are lost on the greater motoring public.

My point is. Who are we trying to impress ??

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
If the new 'V8 AMG' badge pleases you, go for it. People put all kinds of things on their cars.

As for the question of posing, simply having an SLK is for many a dead give away that you're/we're posing. It's not exactly understated is it?

Dressing up a 200/280/300/350 to be a 55 isn't a problem to me either, but it's not something I'd be interested in doing. I could get a real 55 for more or less the same money as my/our current 200 and certainly less that the cost of dressing it up.

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
I don't see the gain brought about by adding a badge. What other people see or say doesn't define me.....or my car. To put it another way....who cares?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts