Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I do not want to step on any toes here but I do not have that fuzzy feeling any longer to open my wallet to buy a new Mercedes. I just spotted the new SUV I believe it was the GLA and that Car/Ute looks better in the Pictures and in the wild. It kinda looked Jelly Bean weird same with the new C Class not my Cup of Tea at all. It looks like a S Class that was too long in the Dryer.

Is it just me or is there anybody else here that thinks that MB Designers smoked too much Edelweiss before they went into the Studio?:|

Some how the current Line up is not appealing too me at all Except this one.:smile:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I like the R172 generally except for some details about the front. I'd like to see it cleaner. There are 4 openings and 4 finishes (black, matte gray, chrome and paint) just in the grille. I also think it can look very bad in photos. Some shots will make the upper grille look tipped forward like a W113. My impression is that MB won't fix these points in the facelift R172 and the R173 is too far away to know. I think the R172 back is really good. Many other folding roof convertibles have a seam between decklid and rear fender that goes down too low. It's so common, it probably has something to do with the requirements of folding roofs. The R172 conceals that seam well.

I like the CLA looks and think that car looks right for its market. I start to think "practical" about the other models which I guess means the looks do nothing for me.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
For the most part I like the design direction; I like the CLA and really like the GLA (as crossovers go) especially compared to the GLK. Wow I'm not a fan of the GLK at all.

The one trend I really don't care for, and seems common across most manufacturers, is the stand-up center display. I understand it is meant to be at eye-level for safety but so far I find almost all implementations quite unattractive appearing as a tacked on afterthought.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
It seems that each evolution in the 'design language' results in some cars looking great, others not so much. In the previous generation, the SLK, CL and E looked good to my eye. Now I really like the look of the S class.

One thing I'm not a fan of is making all the cars bigger and smaller clones of each other. The S, SLK, SL, E and C classes used to look very distinctive and differentiated. Now it seems all the roadsters and sedans are expanded and shrunken versions of each other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts